Help with Gentoo for a CMS
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffs72
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Help with Gentoo for a CMS Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I've been dorking around with my Gentoo box for several months now and I've got installation down and X and cedega and so forth, but I'm having a hard time with web services.

What I'm trying to do is take a CMS package (like Mambo or WebGUI or the like) and get it running on a Gentoo Box at work. I've got a 2.6.9-r8 kernel running, everything is cool with it, I have X and KDE on it, works fine. I can put apache and webmin and the like on it and it's ok.

MySQL works fine, and myphpadmin works.

When I try to put a CMS on, no matter which, I feel like I'm missing a step or soemthing, the best I've gotten is a MAMBO install that never lets me log in as an administrator (I suspected a permissions problem was the culprit, but the problem is well known on the MAMBO forums and none of the suggest solutions worked for me). The worst is trying WebGUI (which is frankly so far my top pick for a CMS solutions) working. All that does is show me the index.pl file actual text in the browser, with no error messages to help me figure it out.

Does anyone have any advice? Should this old MS goon go back to his IIS pastures and set something up there where his 10 years experience in IT actually applies? I love linux and was really proud to get gentoo running on my home box with SATA mirroring, nvidia drivers, X, KDE, cedega, and City of Heroes playable and all, but I feel like a retard getting a web page to work now.

In the immortal words of Lelu from 5th Element:

"Plase Elp"

Edit: Sorry, forgot more gorey server details:

Gentoo 2.6.9-r8 kernel
Tried both Apache 1.3.something and Apache 2.whatever.
MySQL doesn't at all seem the culprit but it's version 4.0.22
PHP ver is 4.3.9
PERL ver is 5.8.4-r1

This machine runs raid using the md raid and raidtools and has been pretty solid other than not doing what I want it to.
dkaplowitz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem with wordpress on a gentoo box...wouldn't let me log in, regardless of how successful the install of the app went. It turned out that the version of PHP5 that the box was running had an issue. Wordpress at the time suggested running the version of PHP5 from CVS, but I didn't want to break the portage connection, so I just waited. Eventually I got it working enough to log in, but there were still some issues with it. Anyway, you might want to check if there are issues with the versions of these apps you're running, and possibly revert back to an older version of something, like PHP (if that's the problem).

Good luck,

Dave
jeffs72
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, that isn't very comforting. I appreciate the answer, but I was sort of hoping that running everything in a non "~x86" mode would make stuff work together. Everywhere I read says that apache is fairly straight forward, but getting perl or php to work with it seems like a nightmare.
dkaplowitz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perl/Apache/PHP are designed to work together...and they do. The problem I was having above was b/c I was running ~x86. Those are the risks inherent in running stuff that's close to the edge.

The problem you're having is either operator error or is a problem with the applications you're trying to run. Maybe if you can tail -f your apache error_log while you're trying unsuccessfully to log in and post it the errors here (or better yet search them here and google) we'll be able to help you more.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: