Cedega, call of duty and ALT
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonaswidarsson
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Cedega, call of duty and ALT Reply with quote

Hi,
I managed to get Call of duty running with use of this installer. I plan to install United offensive as soon as this starts working.

I go into single player mode and set up my favourite controls, with "ALT" for the "Toggle aim down the sight". It works, but any time I press it, even in the menus, the game hangs and is hung until I press ALT again.
I have no idea what causes this, and I am ATM running only fluxbox. The result is I have to press it twice to make it act like I pressed it once, but the game freezes between the presses.

I guess it's some global shortcut in xorg, but I don't know much about these things.

Anyone knows?
jonaswidarsson
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the left alt I am talking about BTW.

Well. It seems like a Cedega issue.
It's the window menu up to the left in an ordinary windows window. You know, the one with the icon that you can doubleclick to close the window.

I think it is so because if I press ALT and the game freezes, I can get that small drop down menu we all remember if I press the down key.

I need a way to disable this for this game. Anyone has an idea?
blueworm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both cod and coduo work perfectly in regular vanilla wine.
jonaswidarsson
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. It didn't for me. And as I am already subscribed to transgaming I went for Cedega and it works really really well. I've heard lots of things like COD won't work very well, but I find everything very very nice and it's a lot faster than on windows, even when I have a full blown KDE waiting in the background.
I just installed CODUO and had a try. Everything was way faster than under windows XP. Call of duty united offensive is a rather demanding peice of game. I always had problems on the first level to even discover the Jerries before they shot me. Now under linux it was smooth and fine, Cedega reports 20-25 fps at the least. On windows it went down so slow i could actually count it sometimes, ie less than 5 fps.

Linux is good even for gaming!

But the issue remains. The windows compatibility catches the Alt-keypress where it shouldn't. Otherwise, everything is perfect.
enternaL
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump. Has anyone been able to figure this out? :?
Arainach
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if it's a Cedega problem or that installer. I use that installer too, and whenever I try to change my Video Settings, the game crashes.
jonaswidarsson
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My little brother runs CoD on windows XP. At one single occasion he could toogle a framerate freeze with HIS ALT key!
So it seems it is a problem with Call of duty actually, and the differences between cedega and windows make it occur all the time under cedega but only rarely under windows.
echo6
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its most certainly a problem under both Windows and Linux, and yes more noticeable with Linux. I use alt for sprinting in UO, and one Windows machine this problem resulted in me changing to use another key. I recently installed UO on my laptop with Linux, and the problem is far worse and manifests itself a lot sooner, so another key defined to resolve it.
nukem996
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont use Alt or F10 for anything but if I hit one of those keys accidently the game freezes. Hitting them again unfreezes them so its no big deal. Anyway I would write a bug report to Activision if its a big issue for you, I have a feeling it has to do with this.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: