Kernel Panic with LiveCD 2004.3
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
akhilss
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:56 am    Post subject: Kernel Panic with LiveCD 2004.3 Reply with quote

Hi,
Im trying for the first time to install Gentoo on my laptop so please bear with me if this turns out to be a stupid problem.
I amInstalling gentoo on a IBM Laptop Thinkpad 600X
with the following hardware specs.

Pentium 3 500 Mhz
192 SDRAM
10GB HDD
PCMCIA NIC
Toshiba DVDROM

Current OS: Fedora Core 1 with GRUB as bootloader

When i try and boot using the LiveCD 2004.3, with the gentoo-nofb option THe console shows a Kernel Panic message with what looks like hexadecimal dump.
This seems to happen after the /dev/hdc is discovered. Which is the Toshiba DVDROM.
I have tried a couple of options like nodma,hdx=stroke etc. but none of them have helped. I have tested the LiveCD on my desktop. It boots fine there so im sure there is no boot media issues.

I was wondering if there were any hardware compatibility issues between Gentoo and Thinkpads and DVDROMS. I was looking into previous posts and this sounded familiar.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=258874&highlight=panic

any ideas on how to proceed would be of great help. Thanks
dknzubzero
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the same laptop (just finished gentoo install)

2004.3 uses 2.6x kernel... wont boot (kernel panic)

2004.2 crashed before the boot manager comes op (no idea why)

2004.1 works (just keep your hans from the 2.6x kernel ;) )

i'm about to install kde from grp... after that i'm going to give 2.6.x a try.. but my advise is to make a working 2.4.x system first.

you might wanna look here if you have problems with your pcmia nic
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=1860100#1860100
akhilss
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. Been trying various kernel options at random and nothing seemed to help. I will try to get the 2004.1 CD. But its going to be a long download, :( . But in the end i hope to have a decent setup to play with :D
dknzubzero
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boot up an install 200.1 2.4 kernel.. finish setup.. emerge 2.6 kernel.. make a multiboot system... play with 2.6.. its working just perfekt... (just remember with 2.6 you need to use the kernel drivers for pcmcia.. not like with 2.4 where you emerge a program)..
akhilss
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:04 am    Post subject: Thanks again Reply with quote

I managed to snag a DVD with Sarge Debian and additional packages on it. I managed to get it to install on the first try with kernel 2.6.8 without any problems.
I know that Gentoo is a Debian variant. Are there any significant diffrences between them both. I have beeen using the Synaptic Package Manager for all install and upgrade tasks, mainly install so far.
Thanks for the help, but downloading loading another two CDs and installing Gentoo would have taken the better part of two weeks for me.
Debian looks good so far. Does anybody have anything interesting to try out on Linux. I mean development related work. I have a working Linux installation and i can't think of any way of using it. If anybody has any good ideas, i would love to try it.
Thanks
porodzila
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are MAJOR differences between Gentoo and Debian

Gentoo is a source distro, gentoo uses a BSD ports style package system, Debian uses apt-get and debian packages. Other than that I dont know, never used debian

can't think of any way of using it?! Why not use it for anything you could ever want to do on a computer? except run windows games
criamon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:22 am    Post subject: Solved? Reply with quote

I've got Thinkpad 600e and experienced the same problem while booting Minimal 2004.3. I got kernel panic and my sound card stopped working (to fix sound you've got to INITIALIZE it in bios).

It was reported a bug in this thread:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=252406

bug report:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=71338

I followed the advice:
boot: gentoo-nofb pnpbios=off
and ... It worked!

I wonder if it works for everyone. I'm gonna install Gentoo (I'm using Slackware right now) again and try find whats wrong with the sounc card...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: