Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
About Audio Metadata (ID3-Tags & co.)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

More genre tags for music files as standard?
Yes
53%
 53%  [ 7 ]
No
30%
 30%  [ 4 ]
I don't care
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 13

exhuma.twn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: About Audio Metadata (ID3-Tags & co.) Reply with quote

Just a quick thought on this subject.
I like having clean metadata for my audio files in order to make life easier for software/hardware parsing/reading that data (Media Libraries, MP3-Players, semantic web(?), etc etc)
But in my opinion tags which are usually out there are useless in one point. And that is "Genre"! I personally like to click on a button in my library to load all "Rock" songs or whatever I feel like at that moment. But as it seems nobody seems able to put sensible data into that field. You generally end up having one genre per band, which is pretty useless. Yes, you could simply fix that for your own taste. But that would not really help, as generally the field "genre" is simply too vague.
Having a look on AMG one can see that they only have a handful of genres on their site. Keeping to that scheme, you are faced with one obvious problem. Not everybody has the same perception of rock. And if you have a look into the rock category you actually get an overwhelming choice of styles (to get access to that you unfortunately have to register. spamgourmet is your friend ;) ).
When tagging my music-collection, I used Tag&Rename (on windows) which get all infos from AMG. So it also updated the genre with AMG's genre field, which in my case was nearly _always_ "Rock". So now I have everything nicely categorized in an overviewable set of genres, but my genre "Rock" is a mess.
When selecting to play "Rock" music, and then shuffle my playlist I usually ending up having "Alanis Morisette" coming right after "Blind Guardian" and then maybe after that "Cat Power" and somewhere in between I might get some "Eels" as well.
If you know those bands, You see that having that kind of mixed-up playlist is not really nice to listen to. Especially if you feel like listening to a particular style of music, let's say "Progressive Rock" or so.

Having said all that, my point is, would it not be nice having more than one field for genre? Or even one "genre" field, and one or more "style" fields. And as afaik ID3v2 appends the tags to the audio-file (instead of prepending as with ID3v1), MP3's now have the possibility to add as many tags as wanted to files as well. This opens up the opportunity to do such things. I even had the idea to write some kind of tagger that does just that (by maybe getting infos from wikipedia about the different styles, but as my studies are becoming quite tough these days, I simply don't have the time to do that.

Am I the only one having that opinion, or are there people out there sharing my thoughts ;) ?
khiloa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any kind of tags that actually tell you something about the music are pretty good. So, a yes from me.
NME
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it is virtually impossible to keep a consistent genre-index because there are no clear definitions.
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genre is an unneeded field anyways, if we add more and more what do we prove - that no two pieces of music are identical, nor are all albums really clasifiable as one genre.

No I think we should remove the genre field.
Duty
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a "Progressive Rock" genre in the standard... not the format's fault if Tag&Rename isn't intelligent enough to file things there.
exhuma.twn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duty wrote:
There's a "Progressive Rock" genre in the standard... not the format's fault if Tag&Rename isn't intelligent enough to file things there.

NME wrote:
No, it is virtually impossible to keep a consistent genre-index because there are no clear definitions.

Well, Tag&Rename does a good job there (as any other tag programs), but if you have a look on AMG, which - IMO - looks like quite a complete categorisation of genres, you see that they only have a really short list of "top-level" genres, which I think makes sense. But this is too general for categorisation (as noted below).
Even the wikipedia (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_and_roll) has a clear definition of what the different genres are, and what albums have which genre.
Now, this is proof enough for me, that there is some connection, and some truth in the genres. And that they should not be arbitrarily set by peoples "beliefs". I can understand why people are doing that. First, there is no real automation for that task which is doing a good job, and as some people are not sure which genre it's supposed to be, they simply add either their best guess into the field, which - with the amount of possible genres - is generally wrong, or just leave the field empty.

Now, the standard genres defined by the MP3-standard contain most of these genres, but they are completely unrelated. It is basially the whole tree represented as a flattened list which takes away a lot of information. And I am a real bleiver in metadata, and following the trends in other areas, it would make perfect sense to put more info in files as there currently is, or at least disambiguize fields there are already. As with the genre field.

And if some people think the genre field should be removed, just don't use it then. I _want_ my collection nicely sorted by genre somehow, but no matter how you organize yourself, one field is just not enough. Either it is too general (as with "Rock"), or too specialized (as with "Progressive Rock"). But having a tree/dependancy-like structure (as with "Rock" -> "Progressive Rock") would solve most of the problems.

The reason I opened this thread up, is simply to see if I am really splitting hairs here, or if some people share the same thoughts. ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: