emerging kde
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gwyrox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: emerging kde Reply with quote

Hi there, this is my first post...i think
I installed gentoo minimally about 48 hours ago. I've been tinkering with it for quite a while. Then came the time that I needed x and other things, though not kde...for me anyway, but my dad'll use it.
In any event, I'm on a 400mhz compaq ipaq with 256ram. Right now I am in my 3rd virtual term.
Terminal 2 is for emerging things to use while i wait for x (lynx, etc).
And Terminal 1 is for "emerge kde". I've read it can take around 24 hours for slower machines? It had 84 things to emerge for dependencies and whatnot.
So far it's been going for 22 hours...I'm not sure how far along it is.

And I'd just like to say that, even without x yet, gentoo is MUCH better than the SuSE I was using previously.

Sorry if my text formatting (paragraphs, etc) is a little off, lynx makes the text box only go half-way across the page and scroll almost infinitley...maybe it wraps the text? I guess I'll find out

[edit] heh, i dunno if i'll use x that much once i get it, i'm getting WAY too used to terminal...but i'll probably cozy back in to windowmaker or wim soon[/edit]
r
o
x
anderlin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: emerging kde Reply with quote

Hi, and welcome to the forums!

Gwyrox wrote:
I've read it can take around 24 hours for slower machines?

24 hours to compile KDE is from my view quite fast, but that depends on the meaning of "slow".
Gwyrox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, well you've gotta remember that I'm coming from SuSE, so I'm still pretty new to this "from scratch" deal, and I'm loving every minute of it. The most I got to do in SuSE was start up yast and tell it to uninstall programs it wasted my time to install (like a bluetooth something-or-other...when i don't have any hardware to support it). Anyway, thank you for the welcome. And, I'm liking ELinks much more than lynx...
r
o
x
blackhorse
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!!! :D :wink: I hope you enjoy being part of this community. The forums are a great resource. KDE can be pretty slow, but it compiles in less than a day on my refurbished laptop. Just watch out, sometimes KDE does around two updates per month *AAARGH!!*, but that is not very often :)
ewan.paton
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kdebase and kdelibs took almost an hour{1} each to compile on a reiser4 fs running a amd64 overclocked to 2400mhz so get used to a wait or download a precompiled package. what i would say is suse is dog slow when actually running compaired to gentoo and once kdebase is emerged you have a fully functional window manager just without the extras

this brings me to another point, i heard that kde was going to be split into smaller packages so we could chose mor detailed info on what we emerge, anyone know when this will be and if they plan to impliment this upstream

{1} i should add this is affected by how much you optimize the code and use flags
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, it all took around 5 hours to install on an AMD AthlonXP 2800+. That was back when I was still using ext3 though, but the filesystem speed only has a limited effect. With a processor of that speed, expect to wait a while longer.
Titeuf
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After you have installed kde, don't forget to prelink
This greatly speeds up kde start-up time.
Archangel1
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ewan.paton wrote:

this brings me to another point, i heard that kde was going to be split into smaller packages so we could chose mor detailed info on what we emerge, anyone know when this will be and if they plan to impliment this upstream

I forget the location, but they're on these forums somewhere and I think there's a sourceforge project too. I've got them somewhere but they unfortunately clash a bit with the general KDE improvement patchset which I quite like.

Titeuf wrote:
After you have installed kde, don't forget to prelink
This greatly speeds up kde start-up time.

I heard it helps if you set KDE_IS_PRELINKED in /etc/env.d somewhere (can't remember specifics offhand) so KDE knows it's prelinked and doesn't load things twice. Can't say I'm sure if it works or not though...
Titeuf
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archangel1 wrote:

I heard it helps if you set KDE_IS_PRELINKED in /etc/env.d somewhere (can't remember specifics offhand) so KDE knows it's prelinked and doesn't load things twice. Can't say I'm sure if it works or not though...

It worked for me :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: