Audigy 2 NX and ALSA
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WMCoolmon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: Audigy 2 NX and ALSA Reply with quote

Here's the situation...I've got an Audigy 2 NX (a USB version of the Audigy 2, for those who aren't familiar with it) and an onboard sound card. When I bought the computer, I wanted it to be easy to move to somewhere else.
However, the onboard sound is just not near as good as the Audigy 2 NX; although ALSA doesn't seem to support 24-bit/96khz for the Audigy 2, the onboard sound card also has a slight whine which gets annoying VERY fast.

So, what I'd like to do is have ALSA default to the Audigy 2 NX if present, or switch to the onboard sound card if the Audigy 2 isn't hooked up. (The best solution would be to have ALSA automatically default to the NX whenever it's turned on, not just if it's on at startup, in case I forget to turn it on when I boot up the computer)

An added caveat is that the Audigy 2 NX may need all sound to be fed in at a sampling rate of 48khz, and if this turns out to be the case then I'd like the sound to be resampled at a system-wide level.
DeadMonkey
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!

Check out https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=1867791 for some help on the resampling for the NX2 USB.

As for the whine I know with the original SB Live cards if you muted one of the AC97 sections in alsamixer then that would get rid of some of the noise. Something to check anyway...

As for switcing between two cards, I've tried it once and failed, but if you check out http://alsa-project.org there should be examples on setting up a two card system using your .asoundrc file.

Hope that helps.
weirdo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I followed the instruction in the thread you linked to but I hear a some crackling sound like those old vinyl use to make. Does anyone else have this problem?

Weirdo
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: