View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
makaveli0129
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:13 am    Post subject: problem with x.conf Reply with quote

ok i emerged xor-x11.

I have a dell laptop with a 14'' xga screen

and a ati radeo 7500 16mb graphics card

i tried to automatic configuration and it didn't the i tride xorgconfig and went through that and i keep getting the same error:

fatal server error no screens found

it also says something about line 47 in the .conf file along the lines of problem parsing he config file and error parsing the config file i don't know what to do withi this this is a first installation of gentoo so i am pretty much lost. any help would be much apprieciated.
rhill
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, you can open up xorg.conf in nano, then hit alt+c. that will let you see what line your cursor is on. go down to line 47 and have a look.
makaveli0129
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i checked line 47 and what is says on it is

horizsync 4479025.0-0.0

in the error it says something about that line should be followed by a range or numbers or something along those lines. and it says it has an error parsing the config file at that point i checked windows and my monitor is set up in windows as 1024x768 @60hz so that is the one i chose and then for the second one i put in 30-50 this is while using xorgconfig i dunno what is going on
makaveli0129
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright i think i know what the problem is the thing is how do i find out what my horizontal sync rate is i don't know how to find out both of those values. also how would i find out what my vertical refresh rate is?? I have a dell inspirion 5100 notebook and i didn't get any books with my computer since i bought it used so how would i find this out through something like windows?

thanks for all the help
makaveli0129
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright i finally found out what the range is but now the thing is everytime i try to logon with gdm it takes me to the log on screen and then gives me some session box that has like 6 buttons on the bottom the only two i can click are close and something/fail safe i don't know what happened i was able to get into gnome when i didn't use gdm when i just said start x but now i don't know how to get to the command line and figure out what is going on without first coming to gdm. please help
robet
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post as much of the xorg.conf as you can, ommitting comments preferably. It's probably just some annoying little mistake.
makaveli0129
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know how to copy from linux into windows. also i don't think that the problem is with xorg.conf i think something got messed up with gdm. and i don't know how to uninstall it and start over to try to reinstall and fix the problem???
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: