View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jstuart
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 10:51 pm    Post subject: Phoenix and Java Reply with quote

Ok.. I've emerged in phoenix-cvs. It works PERFECTLY EXCEPT for one little problem. :D Java applets don't work! :(

I've emerged in ALL of the JDK's that are available. I've EVEN let phoenix install the java plugin. ALL of them BUT the IBM plugin have problems when I startup phoenix. I get errors similar to this:

LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /usr/lib/phoenix/bin/plugins/java2/plugin/i386/ns600/libjavaplugin_oji.so [/usr/lib/phoenix/bin/plugins/java2/plugin/i386/ns600/libjavaplugin_oji.so: undefined symbol: __vt_17nsGetServiceByCID]

Supposidly, the blackdown jdk requires a mozilla compiled with gcc-2.95. Nope that don't fly!

The Sun JDK just doesn't work. IE it generates an error similar to the above.

The downloaded JDK generates THAT exact error.

And the IBM JDK doesn't handle mime type: Application/x-java-vm! It however DOES handle application/x-java-applet OR application/x-java-bean!

HELP!!! LOL ANyone else trying to use phoenix-cvs AND java?

Hell, I got flash to work with phoenix (which in the past for me flash and linux was a BAD BAD thing. IE machine lockups, etc... This was before gentoo. :D) so I'd HOPE java would work. LOL
gfunkmonk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the JAVA runtimes are compiled with GCC 2.95 so none of them will work with Phoenix, unless you compile Phoenix with Gcc 2.95 or use the binary install, that what I did I emerged phoenix-bin and blackdown-jre and java works.
jstuart
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EWWW EWWW EWW.. oh well.. ok.. thx for the info... Note: I DID install the compat libraries but that also didn't seem to help... ahh well...
Can O' Beans
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed Phonenix & realized this problem :(

Well, not too many places I frequent use Java, and Phoenix is a pretty great browser so far, I think I can wait a bit for Java to start using the newer gcc. :)
Cuardin
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Phoenix-bin with Blackdown jdk 1.4.1 and I get a very similar error. I understand this is a problem with incompatible gcc. Is there a way to determine what gcc has been used?
//Daniel Armyr
Now for a small rant. It is great that Mozilla is trying to make an end-user program, but I sometimes feel that, especially on the plugin front, they should have an "expert mode". I sometimes feel Mozilla and co load plugins at random.
iKiddo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cuardin wrote:
I use Phoenix-bin with Blackdown jdk 1.4.1 and I get a very similar error. I understand this is a problem with incompatible gcc. Is there a way to determine what gcc has been used?
//Daniel Armyr

I had more or less the same problem. Phoenix-bin-0.50 doesn't work with the GCC-3.2 blackdown versions. Some observations:
- It's not safe to just emerge the GCC2 blackdown-jdk, because some programs compiled with GCC3.2 will need a GCC3 java.
- Phoenix-bin-0.50 is appearantly compiled with GCC2, because it gives errors when you try to run a GCC3 java suite on it.

So what I did was emerge the blackdown-jre version 1.3* because they were reported as GCC2 compiled. But blackdown-jre-1.3.1-r9 (the latest) didn't work. I had a look through the ebuild and saw that it only fetches ppc files. Then I saw that the ChangeLog said it was only available for ppc because "everybody" would want the newer 3.2 compatible series 1.4.
I finally had success with phoenix-bin + java by issueing:
Code:
emerge -p {PORTDIR}/dev-java/blackdown-jre/blackdown-jre-1.3.1-r8.ebuild
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iKiddo wrote:
I had more or less the same problem. Phoenix-bin-0.50 doesn't work with the GCC-3.2 blackdown versions. Some observations:
- It's not safe to just emerge the GCC2 blackdown-jdk, because some programs compiled with GCC3.2 wilSo what I did was emerge the blackdown-jre version 1.3* because they were reported as GCC2 compiled. But blackdown-jre-1.3.1-r9 (the latest) didn't work. I had a look through the ebuild and saw that it only fetches ppc files. Then I saw that the ChangeLog said it was only available for ppc because "everybody" would want the newer 3.2 compatible series 1.4.
I finally had success with phoenix-bin + java by issueing:
Code:
emerge -p {PORTDIR}/dev-java/blackdown-jre/blackdown-jre-1.3.1-r8.ebuild

Good work! This also addresses my issue for Epiphany -- my system is GCC2.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: