drive images and dd if=/dev
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Godsmacker777
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: drive images and dd if=/dev Reply with quote

I have used the command
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdx

to zero out a drive. I have been told it is also possible to use this command to create image files of, say a floppy disk. It is possible to create an image of a partition on a hd?

My problem: Roommate runs 2k3server, he has just done a clean install (any guesses why? :cough:)...I told him about making images and stuff like that...and how easy it would be for him if he had an image of this clean install. 2k3 server is pretty strict about what it will allow to go on. I don't have a copy of ghost 9.0 or whatever to try, and I know the popular programs like part. magic won't run on it (I'm assuming drive image too). ANYway. After pondering and trying to figure out a (hopeless) windows solution, the possibilities linux present finally hit me.

Second question...this is on a laptop...so if this command is possible to use in this way (or any other ideas people have), is it possible to run this off of the gentoo livecd.

The problem of where to write the image has occured too...how could I mount my ext3 data partition from across the network ?? We're in dorm rooms...dunno if that complicates anything.

as always...all opinions, ideas, suggestions and what have you are greatly appreciated. I'm new to linux and working my way through it...using windows less and less day by day. THANKS~

I want to see signatures boasting 25 cpu clusters and blade severs, or a big 'ole onyx..anyone running gentoo on an onxy??
neilhwatson
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can image with dd. I make backups of floppies with
Code:
dd if=/dev/fd0 of=floppy.img
. You can also make ISO images the same way
Code:
dd if=/dev/cdrom of=image.iso
. You should be able to do the same with hard drives.

I would test it. Image a partition and they try to mount it using a loop back device.
Godsmacker777
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how would I test this now? I'm not familiar with loop back devices.

This is possible with the live cd I'm guessing?

I will test this on my computer...but how can I mount my hard drive across the network, from his computer? (booted with the live cd)

are your floppy images written as *.img?

I want to see signatures boasting 25 cpu clusters and blade severs, or a big 'ole onyx..anyone running gentoo on an onxy??
neilhwatson
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would need to have a second hard drive on the system to make the image on. Or move the source drive to a Linux system and image it from there. Mounting the loop back involves the "-o loop" switch. Check the mount man page.
Godsmacker777
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right...I should have known to look at the man page!

This is a laptop, I could possibly get to the drive, but have no ide converter pieces to go from regular size to laptop.

I have two options: mount my hd over the network, or mount my hd from a usb enclosure. Does the live cd allow you to mount usb partitions? is this fairly simple? I will check out other threads for specifics on how to mount.

Thank you for your advice!!!

lightvhawk0
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out hdban live cd, or you could just cat /dev/urandom > /dev/hdX but I really wouldn't know about backing it up to a cd or set of cds :(

Last edited by lightvhawk0 on Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:54 am; edited 3 times in total
Godsmacker777
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

success! All worked out well. Here is what I did and why.

My roommate's laptop runs windows2k3 server (it's actually kinda nice...for windows...more comments later). We want to create an image of the new install we just completed. The os is installed on a 4gb partition, while the rest is (for now) the "programs" partition. I wanted to use the read/write image/iso command in linux.

1. create a 5gb fat32 partition ::shudder:: something linux can write to and windows can read from.

2. boot computer with gentoo live cd.

Code:
 mount -w -t vfat /dev/hda3 /mnt/gentoo

Code:
 dd if=/dev/hda3 of=/mnt/gentoo/image.img

5. wait awhile

6. reboot into windows

7. move image.img to ntfs partition, delete the fat32 partition and expand the ntfs to span the rest of the open space.

note: resizing the large ntfs partition to create the fat32 section was a pain. I couldn't figure out how to use disk management to resize it...and getting a partition manager to run on server is no fun. After some searching I found this:

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/prodgrid.html

download boot it next generation, simple, worked well. Also free :-)

anywho...I hope this might be of help to someone in the future.

I have thrown in the towel when it comes to windows, and my roommate can't stand my rants and raves...mostly cause he knows a lot of them are true.

HE DID ASK FOR A COPY OF MY GENTOO LIVE CD.....one step at a time.

Thank you, those of you who advised me!

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: