Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhyteWolf
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psk wrote:
HEH, maybe i should clarify a bit, by default the gl libs w/ xfree 4.2 are just fine for the voodoo cards, and when i said ~1500 fps, i meant ~150-170 in glxgears... :wink: too early in the morning for me :)

hehehe careful 150~170 isn't that high in glxgears
my old 333 was getting 260~300 {broke 350 once}
{amd with 3dnow and mmx+glide + voodoo3}

course all of this was before two things happened
A. they put part of mesa directly into xfree
B. I got a new computer with a built in graphix card
and a agp port when I get a new card that supports it

now i need to start tweaking on a sis chipset :?
Syntaxis
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oks...
I emerged xfree, then glide-v3, then xfree again.
Glx and DRI seem to be working just fine.
Only thing is, glxinfo shows that glide compiled for voodoo4, when I specified "3dfx" and "voodoo5" in my USE variable. Weird.
Plus, running glxgears reports: "6811 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1362.200 FPS" - I'm slightly dubious about this figure.
My machine's an Athlon XP 1600+ with Voodoo5, mmx, 3dnow, sse and glide. I would guess that glxgears is using software rendering rather than the OpenGL - how do I find out?
Syntaxis
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops :oops:
Should have read the first post more thoroughly :-)
Code:

# glxinfo | grep OpenGL
OpenGL vendor string: VA Linux Systems, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Voodoo4 20010501 x86/MMX/3DNow!
OpenGL version string: 1.2 Mesa 3.4.2
OpenGL extensions:

Aside from the obvious that I have a voodoo5 and not a voodoo 4, I guess this means that DRI is working okay. Yippee! :-)
One curious anomaly, tho: I tried emerging chromium and it tries to dload Mesa-Demos and the Mesa libs, which aren't needed in working DRI.
GLtron appears to work just fine, however.
Any ideas as to why this might be?

EDIT: okay, it's glut that's still depending on the standalone Mesa libs. Now to find out why...
pablored
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't be dubious about the figure... i'm on a 450mhz pIII and voodoo3 combo getting 700 and odd.

One thing I have found is that the xmame xgl renderer isn't working for me (this is having modded the ebuild to use xgl instead of sdl). It is so sssloooooooooowwwwwwwww, i don't even reach the 'type ok' screen.

any voodoo owners lucked out with this?
cesman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 7:42 am    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Thanks to all that posted on how to get the Voodoo working w/ DRI! I got my Voodoo 3 2000 working(over 1200 fps w/ SMP PIII 650)!

xfree
glide-v3
xfree
glut
mesa-glu

Worked like a charm!

cesman
psk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

once again, i was wrong :P the first time i said i got ~1500 fps i was right.. just never caught it... damn sleep deprivation always gets the best of me... and if anyone has a hard time swallowin that... just ask, and ill take a screenshot :D
jrn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2002 5:11 am    Post subject: -m486 won't die Reply with quote

i've tried every possible USE and combination of cflags, modding the makefile.*.bottom, everything...

i run a banshee on a xp1800+. I get 528 fps in DRI alone and 1500+ fps by emerge glide mesa-glu xfree

two things I want:
1) working xscreensaver

2) emerge glide to use my
"-march=athlon-xp -O6 -pipe -msse -mmmx -m3dnow -mfpmath=sse,387"

settings. (yes, all are in USE but i dump it in make.conf CFLAGS too)

I've hacked glide's oddball source tree for hours trying to get it to acknowledge my flags. even replacing /usr/bin/gcc to append the flags (which continues to report "-m486 is defecated")

come to think of it my last ditch effort probably will work. if /usr/bin/gcc is a script doing gcc-3.2 $@ ${MYFLAGS}, i would still see -m486 parsing first.

so now i have 1 main problem, xscreensaver doesn't get to do what it needs with the X server. but glxgears works well enough. :?

ideas?
defknol
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody gotten this to work. Note that from research, the setup for the Voodoo 3 will NOT work for the voodoo 2. I noticed from the Linux Gamers Howto that it is partly a Glide issue. Voodoos 1 & 2 work with Glide 2, but not with Glide 3 and Voodoos 4 & 5 work with Glide 3, butnot with Glide 2. I'm assuming, that for the other stuff in Gentoo and X to work right, we need Glide 3. Is there a way to get both glide 2 and glide 3 to work on the same system?

I tried to put in the 3dfx driver and hosed my system (overwrote some important libraries - don't know what to fix) so I'll be starting from scratch. Also, what about the 3dfx device that is mentioned - how do I get that to work with devfsd? anybody got ideas on this?

I'll post my results here if I get it working.
jay
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we are using the wrong drivers. We have to use glide. Let me quote from the xfree website:
Quote:
This driver is a bit special because Voodoo 1 and 2 boards are very much NOT made for running 2D graphics. Therefore, this driver uses no hardware acceleration (since there is no acceleration for 2D, only 3D). Instead it is implemented with the help of a "shadow" framebuffer that resides entirely in RAM. Selected portions of this shadow framebuffer are then copied out to the Voodoo board at the right time.

This driver requires that you have installed Glide. Also, you need to tell XFree86 where the libglide2x.so file is placed by making a soft link in the /usr/X11R6/lib/modules directory that points to the libglide2x.so file.
Note that emerge glide-v3 will install the WRONG glide drivers. We need the correct ones: http://www.falconfly.de/voodoo2.htm (Scroll down for the Linux drivers).

It seems that Voodoo 2 boards support no higher than 1024x768 and Voodoo 1 boards can go to 800x600. If you see a message like this in the output from the server:
Code:

(EE) GLIDE(0): grSstWinOpen returned ...

Then you are probably trying to use a resolution that is supported by the driver but not supported by the hardware.

Here is an example of a part of an XF86Config file that uses a multihead configuration with two monitors. The first monitor is driven by the fbdev video driver and the second monitor is driven by the glide driver.
Quote:

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor 1"

VendorName "Unknown"

ModelName "Unknown"

HorizSync 30-70

VertRefresh 50-80

# 1024x768 @ 76 Hz, 62.5 kHz hsync
Modeline "1024x768" 85 1024 1032 1152 1360 768 784 787 823

EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor 2"

VendorName "Unknown"

ModelName "Unknown"

HorizSync 30-70

VertRefresh 50-80

# 1024x768 @ 76 Hz, 62.5 kHz hsync
Modeline "1024x768" 85 1024 1032 1152 1360 768 784 787 823

EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "fb"

Driver "fbdev"

Option "shadowfb"

Option "dpms" "on"

# My video card is on the AGP bus which is usually
# located as PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0.
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"

EndSection

Section "Device"
# I have a Voodoo 2 board
Identifier "Voodoo"

Driver "glide"

Option "dpms" "on"

# The next line says I want to use the first board.
Option "GlideDevice" "0"

EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen 1"

Device "fb"

Monitor "Monitor 1"

DefaultDepth 16

Subsection "Display"

Depth 16

Modes "1024x768"

EndSubSection

EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen 2"

Device "Voodoo"

Monitor "Monitor 2"

DefaultDepth 16

Subsection "Display"

Depth 16

Modes "1024x768"

EndSubSection

EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Main Layout"

# Screen 1 is to the right and screen 2 is to the left
Screen "Screen 2"

Screen "Screen 1" "" "" "Screen 2" ""

EndSection

Hope that helps...
Lightspeed
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It seems that Voodoo 2 boards support no higher than 1024x768

Indeed the Voodoo 2 can only support 1024x768 when used in SLI mode with two boards, otherwise it too is limited to only 800x600.

I also have 2 of the 12 MB Voodoo2 cards in SLI on my oldest system and would love to get Gentoo to make use of them, so am interested to hear if any more has come of this issue yet...
ganiman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psk wrote:
HEH, maybe i should clarify a bit, by default the gl libs w/ xfree 4.2 are just fine for the voodoo cards, and when i said ~1500 fps, i meant ~150-170 in glxgears... :wink: too early in the morning for me :)

I get that and my rendering isn't working! Are you sure that yours is?
scion_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: not working for me Reply with quote

I have a 64M voodoo5 5500. I've tried all that people said on here and i still can't get direct rendering to work. i've tried with the tdfx built as a module, and into the kernel. Funny thing is, without the dri loaded in xfree, i get a faster framerate, 150fps+ to be exact. with the dri loaded, i only get 81fps. funny how that works. but since im on dialup, and i now learned to get wvdial working, i'll finish re-downloading disc2 of gentoo and try from scratch with the suggested ways. Another funny thing, even though i get 150fps+ without dri loaded, when i play warcraft 3 with wine or winex, it goes below 1fps :\
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: