No sound from cd player [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tabanus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:46 am    Post subject: No sound from cd player [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Hopefully this is not too stupid a question, but...

I can't get any sound on CD playback. I have the same problem on two completely different Gentoo PCs.

Both are running KDE 3.3.1. The application I'm using is KsCD. The program appears to be running fine, but there's just no sound. Playback of sound files on the hard drive is fine, and I've successfully managed to rip a CD track to a .ogg file, and that worked fine (on one of them, not tried the other yet).

I suppose I must have set something up wrong, but what? Both use the same sound driver (intel i8x0); one of the PCs has an intel i810 board, the other an nForce2.

Thanks

Last edited by tabanus on Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
SubAtomic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the audio cable from the cd-rom drive connected to your sound card?
"The real romance is out ahead and yet to come. The computer revolution hasn't started yet. Don't be misled by the enormous flow of money into bad defacto standards for unsophisticated buyers using poor adaptations of incomplete ideas." -- Alan Kay
tabanus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fairly sure everything is physically setup right, but I did build one of these PCs myself so I can't be 100% certain. I don't know any other way to test it other than trying to play a CD.

Thanks
SubAtomic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have any CDs with mp3 or ogg vorbis files, you could try playing them in the cd-rom and if they do work then the audio cable thing is probably it (raw cd audio travels straight to your sound card).

I stupidly didnt plug the audio cable in on the last box I built and it took me quite a while to figure out the cause.
"The real romance is out ahead and yet to come. The computer revolution hasn't started yet. Don't be misled by the enormous flow of money into bad defacto standards for unsophisticated buyers using poor adaptations of incomplete ideas." -- Alan Kay
tabanus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, got it sorted. Messing around in alsamixer, I discovered that CD was labelled [off]. The help screen in alsamixer didn't say how to switch it on. So I pressed every key on the keyboard, and pressing M (practically the last bloody key!) unmuted it. Got CD audio now :)

A simple enough solution...thought it would be. Pity there's no mention of it in the ALSA setup guide.
SubAtomic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent looked at the alsa guide for a while but I do remember the last time I looked it did mention that alsa is muted by default.

By the way
Code:
man alsamixer
M toggles muting for the current channel (both left and right). You can mute left and right independently by using , (or <) and . (or >) respectively.

Last edited by SubAtomic on Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
SubAtomic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tabanus wrote:
OK, got it sorted. Messing around in alsamixer, I discovered that CD was labelled [off]. The help screen in alsamixer didn't say how to switch it on. So I pressed every key on the keyboard, and pressing M (practically the last bloody key!) unmuted it. Got CD audio now

A simple enough solution...thought it would be. Pity there's no mention of it in the ALSA setup guide.

I just took another look at the gentoo alsa docs ....
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/alsa-guide.xml

gentoo alsa guide wrote:
Unmute the Channels
By default, all sound channels are muted. To fix this, run amixer:

Code Listing 3.5: Running amixer
# amixer

If amixer produces lots of output then you're ready to unmute the channels. If you receive an error, doublecheck that your soundcard module is started.

Now unmute the Master and PCM channels. If this isn't sufficient, also unmute the Center and Surround channels.

Code Listing 3.6: Unmuting the sound channels
(If you prefer an ncurses method:)
# alsamixer
(or)
# amixer set Master 100 unmute
# amixer set PCM 100 unmute
(Only if the above isn't sufficient:)
# amixer set Center 100 unmute
# amixer set Surround 100 unmute
# amixer set Headphone 100 unmute

To check if your sound works, play a wave file (using aplay), mp3 (using mpg123 or even mplayer) or any other sound file for that matter.

Which ALSA setup guide were you reading?
tabanus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the same guide you just quoted, and followed the instructions exactly as written. I had no idea at what the guide meant by ncurses, so just typed in the quoted code to unmute the channels, which worked fine for all other sounds. Naturally, like you, I thought there was a problem with the audio cable from CDROM to sound card, and had the case opened and everything. Unfortunately there's no metion of unmuting a CD channel. I guess the code would be something like:

Code:
amixer set CD 100 unmute

Though I haven't tested this, because I did it with the graphical alsamixer, which I only ventured into when I was having problems. Even then, I had to press practically every key on the keyboard before the effect I wanted happened. I guess "man alsamixer" would have been a better way of learning, but, I didn't think of that at the time, and there is a help screen in alsamixer that makes no mention of how to unmute a channel. What does ncurses mean anyway?
SubAtomic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see you got it sorted.
Ncurses is an API that provides an application display on shell terminals.

Execute alsamixer from a shell to see what I mean.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: