View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lucif3r
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Looking for alternatives to Evolution on Fluxbox Reply with quote

I have recently decided to dump Gnome and KDE style DM's for the simplicity of a WM, fluxbox. It is a bit of a challenge but I am learning.

My problem now is a good choice of programs. I am using aterm as my terminal right now and firefox is my browser of choice. For e-mail though I am dissapointed because without Gnome evolution is a pain. You can't change file associations since it expects you to do that through nautilus. I would like to stick with simpler file managers like ROX and desktops like iDisk (if I decide to have a desktop at all).

I am beginning to see the fatal flaw in DM's, that the programs depend to much on each other. They are no longer strong as independant apps.

So that said I am looking for a good Evo alternative. It needs to support IMAP since that is the only way I access my two e-mail accounts. Filters over IMAP would be awesome but Evo is the only one I have found that supports this. I like to filter mailing list messages. Spam filtering over IMAP... well one can only hope ;-).

So, any suggestions? I figure I can always use Thunderbird as it works as a strong independant app that supports IMAP. I don't think it can do filtering though.
Zyne
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can easily keep evolution without gnome or kde or whatever...

Quote:

einfo "To change the default browser if you are not using GNOME, do:"
einfo "gconftool-2 --set /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/http/command -t string 'mozilla %s'"
einfo "gconftool-2 --set /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/https/command -t string 'mozilla %s'"
einfo ""
einfo "Replace 'mozilla %s' with which ever browser you use."

works great! ;)
teilo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for alternatives to Evolution on Fluxbox Reply with quote

lucif3r wrote:
So, any suggestions? I figure I can always use Thunderbird as it works as a strong independant app that supports IMAP. I don't think it can do filtering though.

Thunderbird 1.0, just released, now includes IMAP filtering.
Psych0
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I used Evolution with Fluxbox for quite some time, and just recently switched to Thunderbird. I have been using mostly Gnome apps with flux, plus k3b since ide-scsi has been depriciated. Use what ever works best for you, that the power of Linux. Choice!

Fluxbox rules, see the fluxbox tips thread for some cool things you can do with flux. You can cd to .gconf2 and use gconf-editor to set a lot of the Gnome preferences for Gnome programs you use.

--glenn
svyatogor
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for alternatives to Evolution on Fluxbox Reply with quote

lucif3r wrote:
I figure I can always use Thunderbird as it works as a strong independant app that supports IMAP. I don't think it can do filtering though.

Actually it can! The only fiter I use is Spam-detection and works great - moves 90% of all spam into Junk folder on my IMAP server. I don't use any other filters, just cause I have them implemented using procmail, but Thunderbird can do it too!

The only problem I faced with Thunderbird when using t with IMAP, is that I have to open a folder to see number of new unread messages and if your server is slow, it can be a frustrating thing sometimes.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: