Chained NTLDR & LILO won't boot [partially solved - some
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: Chained NTLDR & LILO won't boot [partially solved - some Reply with quote

Hi,
I just almost installed my gentoo yesterday, which I want to be dual-boot with a former WinXP. Here are the steps I've follwed :

1. As I have no Win install CD but only a Recovery master DVD burnt from the PC with OEM software, I /*can't*/ install WinXP where I want (does a bare 160G partition overwriting all I've made).

2. So I first "recovered" the factory installation, then resized and partitioned with the pretty Qtparted from SystemRecveryCD http://www.sysresccd.org/
Then I got
- WinXP on NTFS /dev/sdb1, marked active
- a 64M ext2 on /dev/sdb2 for future /boot
- a 1G ext3 on /dev/sdb3 for future /
- more in extended part. for /usr /tmp /home /various_FAT32_shared_docs

3. I followed the Gentoo manual's steps for installing, and had eventually LILO installed on sdb2 (/boot), so I didn't interfere with MBR and XP's NTLDR bootloader.
I followed this HOWTO's instructions to chain LILO on /sdb2 with NTLDR on the MBR
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=10588, copying LILO 512B bootloader on a FAT32 partition.
The reboot into Win (not seeing any Linux stuff) went on OK, and I copied the gentoo.bin changed the boot.ini entry.

4. On reboot I went into Linux but got a framebuffer vga definition error.
I rebooted with Gentoo CD and recompiled 1-2 options in the kernel, reinstalled LILO, and copied again gentoo.bin to FAT then agin in Windows. Doing that i also changed boot.ini to default with c:\gentoo.bin instead of WinXP (was that some mistake there ?).

5. On next reboots, Lilo wouldn't boot into either XP (going back to Lilo screen) or Gentoo ("Loading gentooEBDA is big; kernel setup stack overlaps LILO second stage").

So could you pleez
- explain me the latter error message ? :o/
- give me a hint how to hack from a boot media into NTFS XP's c:\boot.ini and/or overwrite c:\gentoo.bin so I can boot XP again, and restart all the bootloader procedure.
Thanks !

Last edited by jeffix on Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:56 am; edited 2 times in total
jeffix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
changed boot.ini to default with c:\gentoo.bin instead of WinXP (was that some mistake there ?)

In particular, which one of the sdb1 (Win, NTLDR in MBR), sdb2 (/boot with LILO) and sdb3 (/) should be flagged as bootable/active, in plate's HOWTO's configuration ? I'm definitely unclear about the role of that feature, does it make sense for Linux too or is it just an MSDOS requirement ? And is this choice related to that of the "default" OS defined in Win's boot.ini ?

BTW, does boot.ini manage the NTLDR in MBR (as suggested by the Howto) or rather the partition-wise WinXP loader ? In the latter case, will I be able to boot my Gentoo again if reinstalling LILO in he MBR instead of the /boot BR ?
jeffix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
4. On reboot I went into Linux but got a framebuffer vga definition error.
I rebooted with Gentoo CD and recompiled 1-2 options in the kernel, reinstalled LILO, and copied again gentoo.bin to FAT then agin in Windows. Doing that i also changed boot.ini to default with c:\gentoo.bin instead of WinXP (was that some mistake there ?).

CAUTION here : I figured out how the process works. NTLDR or LILO or whatever in the MBR directing to the Win partition starts the local bootloader there, which I redirected to a local copy of Lilo's binary sector.
There seems to be NO TIMEOUT in the boot.ini process, so doing that may prevent you to boot Windows at all, since it sends you immediately to the lilo binary copy. I don't have a clue the boot.ini syntax, so if s.o. could give me a hint...
I partially got rid of the problem just brutally overwriting MBR's NTLDR with that of LILO, so I could at least boot Gentoo. Then I'll try and edit Win's boot.ini with my Gentoo's ntfs tools...

Quote:
5. On next reboots, Lilo wouldn't boot into either XP (going back to Lilo screen) or Gentoo ("Loading gentooEBDA is big; kernel setup stack overlaps LILO second stage").

- for XP partition booting looping back to the LILO fake copy, see §4 up.
- the "EBDA" error seems to be some VGA or framebuffer problem. Solved that by adding VGA (besides VESA FB) and booting with text-mode only console. There also seems to be a bug when ATI fb drivers are compiled in kernel, just put the generic VESA ones.

Quote:
give me a hint how to hack from some media into NTFS XP's c:\boot.ini and/or overwrite c:\gentoo.bin so I can boot XP again

This I fear is going to be far more tricky. Some advice would be greatly appreciated :roll:

Quote:
which one of the sdb1 (Win, NTLDR in MBR), sdb2 (/boot with LILO) and sdb3 (/) should be flagged as bootable/active ? I'm definitely unclear about the role of that feature, does it make sense for Linux too or is it just an MSDOS requirement ?

That I haven't figured out yet. :?:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: