xorg on a iBook G3 800mhz
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grapes
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:58 pm    Post subject: xorg on a iBook G3 800mhz Reply with quote

Fist of all, I know there are like 10 or more threads about very similar problems. I went through each of them and none solved my problem.

I have an 800mhz g3 ibook with gentoo installed. Everything works fine except for x. I have xorg installed and used 20 different config files (most that people posted as working configs) and none work for me. Some times x starts and I get a very wavy screen like the sync is wrong, but I played with that and it didn’t seem to help. Other times x starts and I get only a wavy red mouse pointer on an all black background (it should be gray and I can’t see the xterm) I’ve tried the ati dirver and the radeon driver – both give the same result.

Does anyone have any ideas to try? I’ll post any info you need about my ibook. Thanks for any help.
porodzila
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the generic fb device on my imac. I'm pretty sure you can't go wrong with that or VESA
servobf
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll depend on what modules you have compiled or built in (the xorg.conf loads a module if you set it up to, I think).

Here's mine. :-)

http://stuporglue.com/gentoo/

Michael
Grapes
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

porodzila wrote:
I use the generic fb device on my imac. I'm pretty sure you can't go wrong with that or VESA

I've tried that, but I get line down the right side of my screen. They are horizonal lines about 2 inches long.
Grapes
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

servobf wrote:
It'll depend on what modules you have compiled or built in (the xorg.conf loads a module if you set it up to, I think).

Here's mine. :-)

http://stuporglue.com/gentoo/

Michael

I went line by line matching your kernal.config with mine and I found no differences that I thought would account for video. I tried your config anyway and it worked perfectly, even with my xorg.config!!! I'm still trying to figure out what I was missing, but at least it works. Thanks alot.
servobf
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I went line by line matching your kernal.config with mine and I found no differences that I thought would account for video. I tried your config anyway and it worked perfectly, even with my xorg.config!!! I'm still trying to figure out what I was missing, but at least it works. Thanks alot.

Kernel configs can be pretty long sometimes :-). If you're really interested in seeing what it was, you could try vimdiff - it'll find the differences right quick.

On the other hand, maybe it was something you forgot to do on yours the first time, like "make modules_install" or something like that.

If you want me to check your kernel.config, PM me and I'll send you my e-mail address.

Michael
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: