ACCEPT_KEYWORDS, debian style
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 10:58 pm    Post subject: ACCEPT_KEYWORDS, debian style Reply with quote

GForge.org wrote:
Debian Users can simply add "http://people.debian.org/~bayle/" to /etc/apt/sources.list and type "apt-get install gforge" to install a working GForge-3.0pre6 system, thanks to Christian Bayle and the Debian-SF project.

This would be cool under portage; not necessarily with specific usernames but perhaps arbitrary keywords...

...wait a miniute. ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~arch" springs to mind. Is this Gentoo's attempt to offer similar functionality.

What I don't like about the way ACCEPT_KEYWORDS works is it allows you to upgrade your system upon unstable libs that are a pain to remove or, even worse, unintentionally remove. (glibc springs to mind!)

I think the problem lies in the rather crud way soft links are used in /lib and other lib directories. I mean why should libc.so.6 (!?) link to either libc.so.2.2.5 or libc.so.2.3.1 when the latter is not backwards compatable. Surely that would be a reason for libc.so.6 to become libc.so.7!

Unfortunately this is a problem more with GNU/Linux than with Gentoo as a distribution, which makes this more of a rant than a rave.

I wonder if there's a way to solve this.

Back to the point though, wouldn't it be awesome to have less 'system critical ways' to have custom, distributed additions to the portage tree like Debian does?

Open source web-enabled rich UI platform: Vexi
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: ACCEPT_KEYWORDS, debian style Reply with quote

charlieg wrote:
I mean why should libc.so.6 (!?) link to either libc.so.2.2.5 or libc.so.2.3.1 when the latter is not backwards compatable.
glibc 2.3.1 is backwards compatible with 2.2.5. Dynamically linked programs that were built against 2.2.5 run when 2.3.1 is dropped in, without error. The problem I believe you are referring to is that the reverse is not true: once you have compiled some programs against 2.3.1, you cannot downgrade to 2.2.5 without breaking them. Since fixing this would require a time machine, I don't really see what could be done.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: