View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simon_irl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:26 am    Post subject: KDE annoyance: midi works, "test midi" doesn't Reply with quote

it's a very minor thing, but it bugs me...why does "test midi" do nothing in the "sound system" dialog? does it work for anyone else?

as far as i can tell there's nothing wrong with arts or midi...kmid & rosegarden work fine, my knotifyrc has arts enabled...the startup sound plays when i login...everything is fine, except for the "test midi" button. does anyone know what it uses as a player? is it kmid? i understand kaboodle's the internal player, but kaboodle doesn't play midi, so i guess this button should activate something else...maybe it's something i don't have?
hds
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you sure you card does have real midi?
dunno about kmid and rosegarden, but timidity for example emulates midi to play those files.
simon_irl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, quite sure...that's why i've posted this under "desktop environments" rather than multimedia...it's a kde problem, not a midi problem.

i've used timidity in the past, but now have hardware wavetable midi...i use "asfxload" and soundfonts. whatever the reason is for kde's "test midi" button not working, i don't think it's a problem with midi itself, because kmid & rosegarden are fine. i think it's either a bug, or it's trying to use a player i've misconfigured or am missing.
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have exactly the same problem here. I can play MIDI files with aplay, kmid with timidity++ or my audigy, rosegarden, whatever program I want, but the kde control center test midi function just doesn't work, and i can choose whatever soundserver I want in the control center, the result is always the same: no sound with the test midi button.

I think at it is definitly a kde bug, because I have never see this button to work as far as I remember. Maybe on Suse it is at least 4 or 5 years ago, but I don't remember for sure.

EDIT: it is a kde bug: "Test Midi" button does nothing when pressed. Midi DOES work in other KDE apps
EDIT2: And it take very long time to solve. Opened the 2004-03-20, still not solved.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: