Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
PCMCIA nic: getting it working with pcmcia-cs (for n00bs!)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gkmac
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Operation not permitted errors Reply with quote

farphel wrote:
However, in both cases when the module is loaded on card insertion, I get the following error:
Code:

Jul 21 08:00:13 [cardmgr] executing: 'modprobe prism2_cs'
Jul 21 08:00:13 [kernel] init_module: prism2_cs.o: 0.2.0 Loaded
Jul 21 08:00:13 [cardmgr] bind 'prism2_cs' to socket 1 failed: Operation not permitted

Has anyone else ever encountered this error? What did you do to fix it?

I upgraded my gentoo-sources kernel and got this error as well.

After much searching, I came across this thread which suggests that having "Systrace support" enabled in the kernel causes this error. I disabled this option, recompiled the kernel and that solved it.

The thread mentions that turning on GrSecurity options can also cause this. There are also other things to try suggested in that thread, so have a look.
dalamarian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a shot

-dal-
grnfvr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: crash on insert in Inspiron 8100 Reply with quote

soroko wrote:
ragefan wrote:
i followed your instructions, but on my laptop, Dell Inspiron 8100, when I insert my Orinoco Sliver card, the computer freezes and i have to reboot using the power button. when I insert the card the last syslog message is:
Code:

dessimus cardmgr[2265]: executing: 'modprobe orinoco_cs'

even if i try to boot with the card in, it will freeze before finishing the boot, and the above message is also the last message shown.

TIA,
Rick

I have a similar setup as well, try editing /etc/pcmcia/config.opts

in the line
include port 0x100-0x4ff.....
delete the range: 0x800-0x8ff

I finally figured out this was the same problem i was having with my Inspiron 8000 and dlink dwl 650. However on thing that appears to have been diferent for me, thus making it harder to diagnose, is that for some reason pcmcia is not starting at boot. I have
Code:
rc-update add pcmcia default
and i double checked that the symlink really was there and pointing to the right place. furthermore i re-emerged pcmcia-cs and did a
Code:
rc-update del pcmcia default
just to make sure all the dependencies were cached appropriately. But it still doesn't run at all at boot based on the /var/log/messages log.

So again as so many have said. This is the post that finally helped me fix my problem. Specifically the problem that appears to follow the orinico_cs driver + inspiron 8000 combination. Thanks.

Any ideas on why pcmcia isn't starting at boot????
MikeHappySmith
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: crash on insert in Inspiron 8100 Reply with quote

grnfvr wrote:
for some reason pcmcia is not starting at boot. I have
Code:
and i double checked that the symlink really was there and pointing to the right place. furthermore i re-emerged pcmcia-cs and did a
Code:
rc-update del pcmcia default
just to make sure all the dependencies were cached appropriately. But it still doesn't run at all at boot based on the /var/log/messages log.

Any ideas on why pcmcia isn't starting at boot????

Try
Code:
rc-update del pcmcia
rc-update add pcmcia boot

That should cause it to get run at boot. I believe that using the "default" runlevel was your problem
MikeHappySmith
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:23 am    Post subject: Inspiron 600m not working - timeout in initialization Reply with quote

soroko wrote:
ragefan wrote:
i followed your instructions, but on my laptop, Dell Inspiron 8100, when I insert my Orinoco Sliver card, the computer freezes and i have to reboot using the power button. when I insert the card the last syslog message is:
Code:

dessimus cardmgr[2265]: executing: 'modprobe orinoco_cs'

even if i try to boot with the card in, it will freeze before finishing the boot, and the above message is also the last message shown.

TIA,
Rick

I have a similar setup as well, try editing /etc/pcmcia/config.opts

in the line
include port 0x100-0x4ff.....
delete the range: 0x800-0x8ff

This seemed helped me with a Dell Inspiron 600m and TrueMobile 1150 mini-pci card. I however am still having a problem. It was described in another thread (https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=78379), but has gotten no feedback, so I'll restate here.

After the orinoco_cs module loads, it fails to initialize the card firmware.

dmesg output:
Code:
cs: memory probe 0xa0000000-0xa0ffffff: clean.
hermes.c: 4 Dec 2002 David Gibson <hermes@gibson.dropbear.id.au>
orinoco.c 0.13b (David Gibson <hermes@gibson.dropbear.id.au> and others)
orinoco_cs.c 0.13b (David Gibson <hermes@gibson.dropbear.id.au> and others)
cs: IO port probe 0x0100-0x04ff: excluding 0x378-0x37f 0x3c0-0x3df 0x4d0-0x4d7
cs: IO port probe 0x0380-0x03bf: clean.
cs: IO port probe 0x03e0-0x04cf: clean.
cs: IO port probe 0x04d8-0x04ff: clean.
cs: IO port probe 0x0a00-0x0aff: clean.
cs: IO port probe 0x0c00-0x0cff: clean.
hermes @ IO 0x100: Timeout waiting for card to reset (reg=0x0000)!
eth1: failed to initialize firmware (err = -110)
orinoco_cs: register_netdev() failed

-110 indicates a timeout in hermes_init (the hermes module). I believe the failure just cascades from there.

Any thoughts? This is all very frustrating.
Dawnrazor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: modules problem Reply with quote

Hi all,

first thanks for all the info and help one can get here in the forum!

anz wrote:
Hello,
...but I had the problem, that the modules could not be found (... no i82365 and ds). But after

That is the same error I get....
So I tried your suggestion:
anz wrote:

env-update

works fine...
anz wrote:

source /etc/profiles

...no such file or directory...
anz wrote:

ldconfig
update-modules force

give both no reply, so I think everything is fine here...
anz wrote:

it worked. May be something went wrong with the modules.conf updating? :oops:
cU, anz

And it still doesn't work for me :(
Are there other ides/suggestions?
Dawnrazor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: modules problem Reply with quote

Hi all,

first thanks for all the info and help one can get here in the forum!

anz wrote:
Hello,
...but I had the problem, that the modules could not be found (... no i82365 and ds). But after

That is the same error I get....
So I tried your suggestion:
anz wrote:

env-update

works fine...
anz wrote:

source /etc/profiles

...no such file or directory...
anz wrote:

ldconfig
update-modules force

give both no reply, so I think everything is fine here...
anz wrote:

it worked. May be something went wrong with the modules.conf updating? :oops:
cU, anz

And it still doesn't work for me :(
Are there other ides/suggestions?
szmyd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 1:40 am    Post subject: need entries to modules.autoload??? Reply with quote

First off...my file is /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.4, but this may be because I am using 1.4? anywho...i followed the guide (which was great btw). And after booting a few times I finally got my card to work with my Cisco Aironet router using WEP. But I was getting errors during boot up regarding the i82092 and ds modules (i tried the other i8* too btw). so I just plain took them out of the autoload file...and the card still works! Should this happen, or why would I not need them? Anyways, I also notice that I get a lot of General Protection Faults during boot around the pcmcia module and net.lo, but everything still works 100% on my system. I guess you could say I don't really have a "problem" though I'd feel better if I didn't get a bunch of fault during my boot-up.

BTW, it's a Sony VAIO laptop (PCG-FXA63) with a DWL-650 card.
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a new version of pcmcia-cs available - 3.2.4 - with updates to the orrinco drivers.

Hopefully this will help some of you who've been having issues with them.

I'm not sure if it is in portage yet.

Open source web-enabled rich UI platform: Vexi
Steve03
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
i want to install my netgear ma 401 pcmcia wlan card... thats the things i was told, but it doesnt work :(
emerge pcmcia-cs
cp /etc/init.d/net.eth0 /etc/init.d/net.eth1
... added eth1 as a new interface to /etc/conf.d/net
added pcmcia_core
i82365
ds to /etc/modules.autoload

but it doesnt work... maybe i forgot to to
rc-update add eth1 default

but i dont think that would help because cardmgr exits while loading linux:
cardmgr[1065]: starting, version is 3.2.4
cardmgr[1065]: select(): bad file description
cardmgr[1065]: exiting

any ideas?

sry for my bad english
gerzy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I'd post some of my recent experiences with getting wireless networking going on two different laptops recently. The laptops are a Sony SRX87 with built in Orinoco wireless lan and a Sony GRV-550 with a Cisco Aironet 350 Series PCMCIA Card.

I used the vanilla-sources (2.4.22) to make this work since I could not get it going with the gentoo-sources (2.4.20-gentoo-r7). With the Cisco card and the gentoo-sources in particular, I was experiencing this problem, which does not seem to be an issue anymore with the 2.4.22 kernel drivers.

So here's what worked for me:

Compile the kernel with PCMCIA turned on and cardbus support (the SRX and GRV, like all recent Sony laptops, do not have 16-bit PCMCIA so you don't need the i82365, TCIC, etc.). Select Hermes support and Airo support so the relevant kernel config options look like this:

Code:

CONFIG_PCMCIA=m
CONFIG_CARDBUS=y
(For 16-bit PCMCIA only...)
CONFIG_TCIC=y
CONFIG_I82092=y
CONFIG_I82365=y

(Wireless lan cards...)
CONFIG_NET_RADIO=y
CONFIG_HERMES=m
CONFIG_PCMCIA_HERMES=m
CONFIG_AIRO=m
CONFIG_AIRO_CS=m

Then (re)emerge pcmcia-cs. The configure script will notice that PCMCIA support is in your kernel and will only build the tools for you.

If you have 32-bit PCMCIA (Cardbus), you have to edit /etc/conf.d/pcmcia and change the PCIC line so that the pcmcia-cs startup scripts will load the Cardbus driver:

Code:

PCIC="yenta_socket"

After this, make sure the appropriate /etc/init.d/net.ethX script exists with corresponding settings in /etc/conf.d/net. Then "rc-update add pcmcia default" and reboot into your new kernel. (You don't need to add anything to modules.autoload.d -- the pcmcia-cs init scripts will take care of everything for you.)

This technique worked for me for both laptops.

See the Q&A section of the pcmcia-cs/2.4 kernel README... the author recommends sticking with the kernel PCMCIA support in most cases, and this is what worked for me. Perhaps some bug fixes have found their way into 2.4.22 that aren't in the latest ebuild of pcmcia-cs.
Steve03
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
it seeems that pcmcia nics doonly work with dhcp (didnt work with a static ip with a netgear ma401 and a gericom notebook with an O2Micro OZ6812 Cardbus controller...)
gkmac
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve03 wrote:
it seeems that pcmcia nics do only work with dhcp (didnt work with a static ip with a netgear ma401 and a gericom notebook with an O2Micro OZ6812 Cardbus controller...)

Well, I've been using a Belkin F5D5020 PCMCIA network card in my Compaq Armada 7800 laptop for nearly a year now (under RedHat then and now Gentoo).

With a static IP! No DHCP.
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gkmac wrote:
Steve03 wrote:
it seeems that pcmcia nics do only work with dhcp (didnt work with a static ip with a netgear ma401 and a gericom notebook with an O2Micro OZ6812 Cardbus controller...)

Well, I've been using a Belkin F5D5020 PCMCIA network card in my Compaq Armada 7800 laptop for nearly a year now (under RedHat then and now Gentoo).

With a static IP! No DHCP.

Yes, the original comment was completely unqualified. I suspect the poster had incorrectly specified the static IP.

Open source web-enabled rich UI platform: Vexi
iamnoone
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a little trouble getting this to work.
i loaded i82635, ds, and tulip_cb. tried with xirc2ps_cs as well
the thing is the card is being detected ok. when i type ifconfig everything reads as it's supposed to but when i ping a website i get unknown host. nothing is getting out.
also during boot i get a bunch of
modprobe: Can't locate module /dev/modem

and i also have a warning saying net.eth0 has already started.

the thing is, this setup works perfect with the livecd. i just can t get it to work normal. ugh

any insight is greatly appreciated
oobnuker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - I seem to be in much better shape than most people who post in this thread. Everything seems to be working for me BUT I have to do:

ifconfig eth0 up
dhcpcd eth0

to get everything working once the system boots.

I also get this error during boot:

cardmgr[687]: + * WARNING: "net.eth0" has already been started
modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate modules
Failed to bring eth0 up

But everything works fine when I issue the two commands above...

Any ideas??? Thanks for the help!
Haggis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome guide. Thanks from this ultra noob :D
My card works fine now ....however when I got to this line:

Code:
gentoo1 boot # mv bzImage bzImage.old

It just would not accept this instruction! Does this instruction just tell it to dump the old bzimage file? If so then that is maybe why it didn't work ( I guess I didn't have an old file for it to dump). Confirmation on the purpose of this line of code would be great if someone could explain it to me. :D
Once again thanks to all you guys and gals writing these guides, invaluable stuff. :wink:
mattsk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heyho.

Here's a strange one for you guys. ... I have the cardmgr side of things working (seemingly) perfectly. The modules load, it detects a single PCMCIA port (of which I have only one ... I'm using a TI 1410 PCI - PCMCIA bridge that came with a Zoom 4105 PCMCIA Wireless card) everything seems happy. Here's the kernel output. (Using the pcmcia-cs 3.2.4 ebuild, btw)

Code:

Linux PCMCIA Card Services 3.2.4
  kernel build: 2.4.20-gaming-r5 #2 Mon Sep 15 01:03:05 EST 2003
  options:  [pci] [cardbus]
Intel ISA/PCI/CardBus PCIC probe:
  TI 1410 rev 01 PCI-to-CardBus at slot 00:0a, mem 0xeb001000
    host opts [0]: [pci only] [pci irq 5] [lat 32/32] [bus 2/2]
    PCI card interrupts, PCI status changes

Looks all nice and happy. Problem is it has no idea when I insert or remove a card. We've (a mate and I) been at this for a month or more. Tryed every concievable thing.... We've got 4 of these cards, so we've replaced both the PCI card AND the PCMCIA card, and still no go. To further complicate matters, I *KNOW* the PCMCIA card itself works, because I've used it in a mates laptop using Knoppix (today in fact, we were waving antenna all over the place, and picked up a number of different networks). Also using Knoppix on my computer, I can use the cardctl program to give me information about the card when it's inserted , and to say "no card" when it's not inserted, though even Knoppix doesn't detect the card when it's inserted on my machine. Back in Gentoo, however cardctl tells me "no card" regardless of whether the card is in or not :(. It won't detect it if it's already plugged in when I boot, either.

I'm utterly stumped. Save for trying the built in kernel drivers (oh, I'm using the 2.4.20-r5 gaming sources), which I've only just (ie in the last 2 minutes) finished recompiling.

Does anyone have *ANY* idea at all what could be doing this to me? It will be worth much sanity to me :) I don't care about correct drivers or anythign at the moment, I'll just be happy if cardmgr actually detects an insterted card!

Oh, for completeness:

/etc/conf.d/pcmcia
Code:
# Put cardmgr options here
CARDMGR_OPTS="-f"
# To set the PCMCIA scheme at startup...
#SCHEME="home"

# These are from the pcmcia-cs distribution, but aren't used yet
# Should be either i82365 or tcic
#PCIC="i82365 tcic"
PCIC="i82365"
# Put socket driver timing parameters here
#PCIC_OPTS="irq_mode=0"
PCIC_OPTS="irq_mode=0"
# Put pcmcia_core options here
CORE_OPTS=""

mattsk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear!!

I found my problem. It turns out I was putting the pcmcia card in UPSIDE DOWN ... yes you read that right. The PCMCIA-PCI bridge is orineted the opposite way to every laptop I've used :( (With the laptops I've used the antenna connector points up, but on the bridge in my PC, it has to point down). Take the pcmcia card out, turn it around, plug it back in, and it detects just fine, cardctl get's info for it, everything's good.

I am soooooooooooo embarrased. Still, if somebody else reads this and it solves their problem, I'll be happy.

As an asside, and to my defense, the bridge itself offered no resistance to us plugging the pcmcia cards in upside down. Not sure if laptops allow this or not, but this cheapass PCI card certainly did. Even the gentleman who owns the card - which I have on loan - didn't realise the problem when I dragged my computer over to him several weeks ago, although it was that same gentleman who eventually found the problem shortly after setting up his own computer with an identical card to help me test.
christsong84
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
 root@psalms modules $ modprobe ds
/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/pcmcia/ds.o: init_module: Operation not permitted
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
      You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/pcmcia/ds.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/pcmcia/ds.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/pcmcia/ds.o: insmod ds failed
No APM support in kernel
No APM support in kernel
 root@psalms modules $ modprobe i82365   
/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/pcmcia/i82365.o: init_module: No such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
      You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/pcmcia/i82365.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/pcmcia/i82365.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/pcmcia/i82365.o: insmod i82365 failed
No APM support in kernel
No APM support in kernel
 root@psalms modules $

arg...been pulling my hair out the last few days...anyone have a clue as to what the problem could be?
raylpc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a hard time with my wireless. If yours still doesn't work. The following 2 steps may give some hope. (for some uncommon prism2 cards):

code:cardmgr -m /lib/modules/2.4.22-ck2/pcmcia/

2. Add the following entry into /etc/pcmcia/wlan-ng.conf

card "PLANEX GW-NS11H Wireless LAN PC Card"
version "PLANEX", "GW-NS11H Wireless LAN PC Card"
manfid 0x14ea, 0xb001
bind "prism2_cs"

The info I got it from

code:cardctl ident

Then I used the info to imitate an entry into the wlan-ng.conf.
derheld42
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOOHOO! Thank you so much! My card: EPX-10BT PC Card Ethernet 10BT from Eiger Labs, Inc. which uses the fmvj18x_cs driver now works! (I threw in lots of keywords!)

The only thing that I did differently from up above was:
Code:

nano /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.4

I haven't really read up on it, but why doesn't the 2.4.20 kernel handle pcmcia correctly?

Also, the install docs (currently) say:
Quote:

Now add the net.eth0 initscript to the default runlevel if it isn't a PCMCIA network card:

but above you say:
Quote:

Did you add eth0 using rc-update, as the installation doc told you to? The following will output an explicit statement if you already have:

Code:

gentoo1 / # rc-update add net.eth0 default

Things worked for me without adding net.eth0 to the default runlevel. I think pcmcia_cs uses /etc/pcmcia/net, which invokes /etc/init.d/net.eth0, so I don't think it's necessary to add net.eth0 to the default runlevel.
hrishi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been trying to get a dlink DWL-650 card to work with my laotop (dell latitude c610) and have been unsuccessful so far.

Here is my card
http://support.dlink.com select DWL-650 from the drop down menu. then hit go. A new window will show several pictures. My card is the last of the lot (DWL-650M1).

Here is what I tried:

1. compiled the drivers in the kernel linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r5
(did not work)
2. Followed directions in
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=26716&highlight=dwl650

Did not work!!
When i type cardctl ident i get the following
floyd root # cardctl ident
Socket 0:
no product info available
PCI id: 0x10ec, 0x8180
Socket 1:
no product info available

I am stumped any help appreciated
dan2003
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as i can tell all you guys are using 2.4 on a laptop? I hav'nt been able to find a version of the 2.4 kernel that works, A given 2.4 either does not support cpu scaling or locks up due to ACPI, which i do not wish to have disabled.

I can'nt emerge pcmcia-cs in 2.6 it complains bout not finding linux/modversions.h and tells me to run make dep to fix the error but make dep is used in the 2.6 series.

Also my wireless lan chipset is an rtl8180, the driver only supports 2.4, i can buildit in 2.6 but not load it, says its an invalid module type.
Wedge
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:50 pm    Post subject: Linksys PCMPC100 Reply with quote

Hey, ive been reading though this thread try'n to find someone with the same problem, tried all the previous suggestions, nothing is working for me, so i have resorted to posting my problem *sigh*

I have a Linksys PCMPC100 ver:C4 ethernet card (worked fine in any other linux distro ((even bsd)))

problem is the mods load.

(same auto load problem as some of the other guys)

but when it goes to int eht0 i get
Code:
executing: 'modprobe axnet_cs'
get dev info on socket 1 failed: No such device
ERROR: Problem starting needed services. / "netmount" was not started

ive tried it in the other slot as well, didnt help I used pcnet_cs mod as well, again nothing when i do an lsmod it comes up with (unused)

if i do an lsmod everything is loading except for the actual driver for the card. it used to after play'n with it it dosnt anymore =(

ive removed the hex line in my pcmcia/config.opt

whats really odd is when i do the modules-update force, all my pcmcia mods say "***unresolved symbols in <giving mod>"

ive recompiled my kern seversal times w/ some of the stuggestions above, and recompiled pcmcia-cs several times as well.. Something is fubar'n it.. the card works off the livecd .. so i know its not the card, just something i dont have load'n.

Any help would be great. Thanks
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: