Compiling all the time
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gvs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Compiling all the time Reply with quote

I have been using Gentoo on a couple of systems for a long time now.
It has always served me well and I liked having early access to new releases (like KDE).

A couple of months ago, I became a father. I'm now discovering how hard it is to keep my machines updated (even with security patches). I start to feel that I spend all my time on the computer compiling, were I used to just run emerge in the background when doing other stuff, but the time spend on my computer is rather limited.

I'm looking in to replacing my desktops with a binary distro again. MEPIS seems not to bad (Yoper has some appeal, but it was horribly unstable when I tried it). I've always like debian, but their unstable branch does not get security updates, and stable is so very, very old.

Does anyone have any suggestions to make it easier to stick with Gentoo? Recommendations for good binary distributions are also welcome.
Registered Linux user #249404 - September 1997
BlackEdder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just stop compiling :) If you have an hardware router you shouldn't need to keep up to date too much. Then you can just update when you know you need a certain feature.
Another option would be automation. It shouldn't be to hard to let glsa-check do the compiling every night, just at a cronjob.

As on binary distributions I would try out ubuntu I guess....
gvs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackEdder wrote:
I would just stop compiling :) If you have an hardware router you shouldn't need to keep up to date too much. Then you can just update when you know you need a certain feature.
Another option would be automation. It shouldn't be to hard to let glsa-check do the compiling every night, just at a cronjob.

As on binary distributions I would try out ubuntu I guess....

I'm usually very strict on patching (and security in general), even though the machines are inside a secure zone.

The problem is that with a distro like Gentoo, if you don't keep it up-to-date, you will have very large compile times when you eventually want/need to upgrade.
Most binary distributions have this concentration when you upgrade to a new release.

Lately, I suffered some breakage from emerges (cyrus-imap databases, coldplug, ...), so I try to run updates interactively.

Ubuntu was actually high on my list (because they promise to supply security updates in time). Unfortunately, it is focussing on Gnome, and I prefer KDE.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about you pick a set amount of time to do "Gentoo" work? It could be an hour per week, or 30 minutes every couple of days or something. If you can make it consistant, you can run a cron job that outputs "emerge -vuDp world" to a file that you can review, then you can decide what to upgrade and walk away, or do whatever.
Jengu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have multiple comps in your house, setup distcc. That'll reduce the compile time significantly. Even your windows boxes can help with cygwin (I understand that this is possible but haven't found a good guide yet though).
Drooling Iguana
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just start an update before you go to bed or to work? You don't need to be at the computer for Portage to do its work.
Imek
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drooling Iguana wrote:
Why not just start an update before you go to bed or to work? You don't need to be at the computer for Portage to do its work.

Yeah, that's what I do. However, I barely ever upgrade any libraries unless I need to for an application upgrade.
ralph
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Stick to strictly x86 as you will have only few compile problems then.
2. Just let it update once a week at night if possible.
[Edit]
3. Make sure only those things that you really need are installed as that will speed up upgrading considerably. (I know what I'm talking about...)

If you want a binary distro I'd also recomend Ubuntu, it's very nice (but as you already said, it's gnome focused).
If you prefer kde mepis probably isn't a bad choice. So far I have just used it as a LiveCD, but even then it was quite impressive.
contranj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arch linux is a very good distro... powerful enough to be compared to gentoo but all binary

www.archlinux.org

i tried ubuntu, and didn't like it too much.

not a fan of rpm / apt-get

arch has a packaging system similar to gentoo, but again, all binary.
rezza
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

contranj wrote:
arch linux is a very good distro... powerful enough to be compared to gentoo but all binary

www.archlinux.org

Arch isn't all binary. It defaults to binaries, but you can also compile everything from source whilst letting the package manager take care of book-keeping, just like in gentoo.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just set a cron job for the time and day each week (or whever)
gvs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

contranj wrote:

www.archlinux.org

Thanks for this tip!
I didn't know this one, it looks very nice!
gvs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drooling Iguana wrote:

No, I know. I used to let it run while watching TV or something.
The thing is that I want to check out if everything still works after emerging, but I never know when I will have the time.

I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do... I need better time-management...
mhodak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do not need to babysit the compilation, if it is working, it is working, if it breaks I do not see why you have to know about it immediatelly. Also, you do not need to constantly test that everything works after each update, if something does not work you will find out about it when you use the application. I am using Gentoo for over a year and I had very few broken packages. You need to have some faith in the distro you are running, if you upgrade X check a few basic apps if you want to be sure that things are working but that should be about it.

What can help you minimize number of broken packages is:
1. Only install packages that you use
2. Stick to stable (x86)
3. Use conservative CFLAGS: -O2, which already contains enough optimizations so that your system will be fast.
4. Run revdep-rebuild on regular basis

What could save you time is to let cron handle some work overnight, syncing, checking for updates, you can even have it to build binary packages for you which you can install later quickly.

What I do is I let cron to do sync, check for updates and run revdep-rebuild. I update baout 2-3 times a week and there is usually only few packages that need to be upgraded. But even if the compile would take a long time, I just let portage to do its thing in the backgorund while I do other things. I run gkrellm, so I can see (while I am working on something else) if computer still compiles stuff or whether it is finished.

From my experience I can say that time required to keep gentoo up-to-date is very low.
rmbalfa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just switched to Arch Linux because I no longer have the patience to compile things on my 700 MHz box. It is OK. I still prefer Gentoo, but again, the compile times got to be too much for me.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: