Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
vmware with Win98SE guest - how do I set up virtual network?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davecs
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: vmware with Win98SE guest - how do I set up virtual network? Reply with quote

Whilst I still have some of the 30 days left :( I would like to see vmware in action.

I have installed Win98SE and it works except that I cannot connect to the host machine from the virtual machine.

Obviously I have to set up vmware's cut-down samba, but despite reading the manual and following the instructions to the letter, I dont know what I am doing!

I have set vmware up with Bridged networking (which works, as I can access the internet from within vmware). I have also enabled NAT and host-only, which results in Win98SE booting up and trying to load "PCI Network Drivers" but it cannot find any suitable ones on the Win98SE disk. Does anyone know where I can get suitable drivers?

Something similar happens with the virtual Audio driver but I can deal with that later! I think it's an Ensoniq.

Let me put the question in simple terms and hopefully get an equally simple answer:

Suppose I wanted to set up the following:

User Name = "myusername"
User Password = "myuserpassword"
Domain Name = "WORKGROUP"

Firstly would the User Name and Password have to be the same as for non-root access to Linux? How would I put these entries into the smb.conf and other files so that I log in with full network access from Win98?

Having logged in, can I establish the connection by searching for http://192.168.8.0 or do I have to do something else?

Sorry for all this I can sort most things out but when it comes to networking I am a complete n00b!
Ntlworld cable internet via ethernet
and PC-Chips Desknote Laptop (with PCLOS-pre-81a )
davecs
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah! Suddenly a light went on inside the brain. :roll:

Stopped firewall from running and network drives appeared in virtual Win98SE machine! Added allow all to vmnet1 and vmnet8 in KMyFirewall and all is well again!

Well not totally. All of a sudden the local network is available from the local machine but not the Internet which did work! Arrgggghhhh!

Another problem I have is that Win98 detects a PCI Ethernet Card and a Sound Card on boot, but the AMD driver doesn't work on this second card and none of the supplied sound card drivers on the Win98 disk work either.

Any ideas anyone?
Ntlworld cable internet via ethernet
and PC-Chips Desknote Laptop (with PCLOS-pre-81a )
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: