View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
supernovus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:35 am    Post subject: Ubuntu-ized Gnome Reply with quote

Okay, I use Gentoo on my desktop, but I'm using a Ubuntu LiveCD at work since it doesn't require any installing. Strangely, I really like the top menu structure of Ubuntu's Gnome, with the Applications and Computer menus sorted out like that...

Anyone have a HOWTO or helpful hints of how I can make Gentoo's Gnome look like Ubuntu's ?

Thanks.
NocturnalCoffeeMan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't, but I also really like that and would appreciate if someone could tell us if it were possible or not.
Registered Linux User #365191
supernovus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NocturnalCoffeeMan wrote:
I don't, but I also really like that and would appreciate if someone could tell us if it were possible or not.

I dug a little deeper, and it looks like it's not an easy process. It requires a Ubuntu-created patch to gnome-panel, plus some modifications to files in /etc/gnome-vfs-2.0 /usr/share/applications, /usr/share/gnome/vfolders, /usr/share/control-center-2.0, etc. In other words: PITA!

Oh well, it was a nice idea. Who knows, maybe I'll geek out and see if I can make it work, then I'll submit the appropriate ebuilds with a "ubuntu" USE flag, which will enable the Ubuntu-like menus if you have it turned on, and the default ones if you don't. I'm also going to see about getting the Trash Applet turned into an ebuild.

Next big challenge after that: getting the Fedora SELinux profiles ported to Gentoo. As odd as it is, some of these other distros have things in them that would benefit Gentoo. So far the Ubuntu Gnome patches and Fedora SELinux profiles are the two that I'd like. And since there may be others interested as well, as you have shown, who knows, maybe I can contribute. Of course, all this being done in spare time, who knows /when/ I'll be able to do it, but eh... gotta start somewhere.

This should be fun :-)
Lokheed
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still waiting for my Wartyhog CDs to show up in the mail. I would never leave Gentoo (it simply has everything I want), but I am curious as to what all the hype is. Just gotta see for myself how it behaves. I never tried Debian but heard good things about them, so Ubuntu wont be like Suse or anything :)

Now I am curious as to these menus too. I ran through the screenshots at Ubutnu but didnt notice anything apart from the standard Gnome setup, maybe I overlooked something.
malloc
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ubuntu is really just an unstable sid (unstable beeing used in the debian context ) it's a very good distro as is debian, and it can be seen as a testing ground for debian really.
--> Linux ### 2.6.11-ck2 #1 Sat Mar 12 20:21:30 WET 2005 i686 GNU/Linux <--
plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Gentoo Chat.
supernovus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

malloc wrote:
Ubuntu is really just an unstable sid (unstable beeing used in the debian context ) it's a very good distro as is debian, and it can be seen as a testing ground for debian really.

Well, it's a bit different than standard Debian. I definitely like the changes they've made to the top menu, which is why I'm going to see if I can port those changes to Gentoo. Having more choices is good right? :-)

Oh, and I have not tried the installed version of Ubuntu, just the LiveCD, which is a good way to find out what I'm talking about if others have not seen the menu.
Syntaxis
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

malloc wrote:
Ubuntu is really just an unstable sid (unstable beeing used in the debian context )

Actually, it's not unstable even in the Debian context (i.e. in a state of flux). Every Ubuntu release will be supported for a period of six months from the initial release date, and this support includes backporting security updates to the older versions in a similar style to the Debian security team's coverage of the Stable release. Of course, this is only true for the limited subset of Debian packages which Ubuntu officially supports - anyone using anything from Universe is on their own...
spb
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supernovus wrote:
Next big challenge after that: getting the Fedora SELinux profiles ported to Gentoo.
Out of interest, what does the Fedora policy have that the Gentoo policy doesn't and that you want?

The only thing that stands out to me is the targeted policy letting users run unconfined. IMO that's not a good thing.

(And before you say "Desktop support", I'm using it on my desktop :P )
Sotol
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Well, it's a bit different than standard Debian. I definitely like the changes they've made to the top menu, which is why I'm going to see if I can port those changes to Gentoo. Having more choices is good right? :-)

I know it's only been a day but any luck with this? If you need some help
testing, pm me.
asimon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syntaxis wrote:
Every Ubuntu release will be supported for a period of six months from the initial release date

According to ubuntulinux.org it's "at least 18 month".
Syntaxis
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asimon wrote:
Syntaxis wrote:
Every Ubuntu release will be supported for a period of six months from the initial release date

According to ubuntulinux.org it's "at least 18 month".

I stand corrected. :-) You're quite right; six months is the period between releases rather than the amount of time each release will be supported for, my bad.
wdreinhart
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gnome 2.9 is moving to a new menu system that stores menu layouts in xml files instead of hard-coding things like the "Actions" menu in the panel source. It might be better to wait until that is out, since then you'll be able to simply copy Ubuntu's menu files.
supernovus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spb wrote:
supernovus wrote:
Next big challenge after that: getting the Fedora SELinux profiles ported to Gentoo.
Out of interest, what does the Fedora policy have that the Gentoo policy doesn't and that you want?

The only thing that stands out to me is the targeted policy letting users run unconfined. IMO that's not a good thing.

(And before you say "Desktop support", I'm using it on my desktop :P )

Well thanks for that information! I was actually concerned about that point. I knew that Fedora was using SELinux on the desktop, but I did not know that Gentoo supported it yet. Hearing it from a dev though, thanks for the good news!

:-)
spb
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supernovus wrote:
but I did not know that Gentoo supported it yet. Hearing it from a dev though, thanks for the good news!
It works, but it isn't officially supported. It's not likely to be any time soon either. :( There's just so much stuff that people will try to use on desktop that doesn't have policy yet (mpd, bittorrent being a few examples). Fedora gets around these by basically letting the user run unconfined by default and only restricting certain programs (like Firefox and certain network daemons). Gentoo does it the other way: you're restricted in what you can do by default, and certain programs have extra privileges. Personally, I prefer Gentoo's way (for a start, rm -rf / does no damage even when run as root), but it does have its drawbacks.
supernovus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wdreinhart wrote:
Gnome 2.9 is moving to a new menu system that stores menu layouts in xml files instead of hard-coding things like the "Actions" menu in the panel source. It might be better to wait until that is out, since then you'll be able to simply copy Ubuntu's menu files.

Thanks for that bit of info! I will wait for Gnome 2.10 then. Sounds good.
I'll have to find some articles to read about this stuff. The gnome.org/start/2.9 is rather vague on details.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: