Raid Issues - Problems creating.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
factodude
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject: Raid Issues - Problems creating. Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

I've recently decided to completely switch to gentoo. I have 4 sata 160gig Hitachi harddrives in my machine and the sata interface works fine (ICH5 and sis3114 chipsets on a gigabyte 8knxp MB). At either rate, I'm currently trying to install 2 linux-software raid sets to avoid the issues with sis3114, ICH5, bio issues, etc. I'm using the latest livecd (2004.3) and I can fdisk, format, etc the sata drives fine.

My problem comes when I try to create the md device in /dev/. I've been following the various guides in Documentation and Tips, but I can't get past the point where I need to execute mkdraid (After creating my raidtab.). The console says it cannot find the command mkdraid. I've tried searching for mkdraid in the file directories, and I do have the module "md" loaded, but I still cannot find mkdraid. I noticed that I can run mdadm, however. Does this mean mdadm replaced mkdraid and the guides are out of date, or does it mean something else? Is there anything I can load to execute this command, or can anyone give me a sample syntax for use with mdadm? Even better, is there a kernel option or boot option that I must select in order to get this working?

My ultimate goal is to setup 1 raid set for a /data partition and the other raid set for 2 gigs of swap and a / partition. On a side note, my boot is found on my IDE drive, so I don't have to worry about raid partitions being unbootable. It seems this is rather easy to setup, beyond this point. If anyone can be of assitance with this small issue, it would be grately appreciated ;)

Thanks,
Fact

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A little more background on my system:
MB = 8knxp by gigabyte
Processor = p4 ee, 3.2ghz
Video = ati 9800 xt pro, 512 mb (Yes, I know the problems others have had with this, but I've always installed it fine when I use xorg).
Ram = 1 gig ddr-ram
Harddrives = 4x SATA 160 gig HD's, 1x IDE 60 gig (for a boot partition and misc.)
Misc Video: 1x Hauppuage PVR-350 (Atm, I know there is little support for this, but thats later on my list to get working.)
Media Drives: 1x DVD-RW, 1x CD-RW, 1x Card Reader, 1x FD
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

factodude,

The command is mkraid - no d
It should be in /sbin

- edit -
There is no advantage in putting swap on raid. The kernel will do its own thing over two (or more) equal priority swap partitions anyway.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
david.birch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

might help ? https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=257374
factodude
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, I just saw the guide and it helped with the issues I can't figure out. Thank you so much ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: