Installation in multiple machines
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manucorrales
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: Installation in multiple machines Reply with quote

Hi, i have intstalled gentoo on my box. I want to know haw can i install gentoo on multiple machines without having to compile all over again. Is there a way of "clonnning" the instalation??

What if the machines are diferent? Can i compile a Gentoo in a more generic way and then clone it??
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you use any processor specific flags in /etc/make.conf, then the executable files that you've compiled will only run on processors of that architecture/type.

for example, if you compile your code to be optimized for a Pentium 4, it will be compiled using P4-specific code. you should expect that the applications will not run at all on a Pentium II or III.

looking at this the other way, if you compile for generic pentium type processors (like a Pentium Classic), the code will run on any of the Pentium derivative processors, including a P3 or P4. what you gain in compatability, you will lose in terms of execution on the faster processors. code that is optomized for a P4 will run faster on a P4 than generic P1 code that is run on a P4.

no matter how you slice it, to get the best results you should compile gentoo for the specific architecture that it will be run on.

to get the most mileage out of your compilations, i would suggest doing one compile for each architecture type, and copying the executables to other machines that use the same architecture. if you want good performance, there's no way around compiling for each processor type, but you can avoid compiling for every individual machine.

hth.
manucorrales
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like gentoo very much, and not just for the optimization that can be done.

But, anyway, assuming that i want to install gentoo on 5 machines with identical specs.

How should i do that? How can i clone the installation?

If i make the same partitions on the 5 machines and then copy all the files, that will work?

I have no experience on that but i think that is possible to make a clone installation somewhat with any linux distro.
TelMarien
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: