Install Gentoo on a Linux box
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
niklas.uhrberg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:09 am    Post subject: Install Gentoo on a Linux box Reply with quote

I want to install Gentoo on a computer running FC3 and does not have a working CDROM.
Also, FC3 should remain on the computer which has three partitions /boot, /swap, and / on hda1, hda2 and hda3.

To install Gentoo, can I just start the computer as usual and use fdisk (or parted) to create a new partition for Gentoo. Mount it as /mnt/gentoo ( as stated in the intallation docs) and proceed from there?

Is there anything fundamentally different from this and to use traditional boot floppies, CDROM e.t.c. ?

Usually I do a network install to upgrade FC but for Gentoo I have found no documentation whatsoever on installling without a CD.

Thanks!

/Niklas
chromex
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never done it but I did run accross this link on the install guide (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/altinstall.xml) which sounds like it may have your answers. Good luck.
drzap
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this, but I did have access to a floppy disk.
However I wanted to use the same partition that the system was allready installed on, which makes it a bit more complicated.

Create the dir /gentoo-install and /gentoo
In gentoo-install I put the cd-imaga, you can perhaps mount the iso there.

I then followed the install guide except of course using /gentoo and not /mnt/gentoo when I was done I removed the folders on the old system and replaced them with the ones in /gentoo

Don't delete the /bin dir, and whenever your system stops working :) perhaps you should just do this first.. boot from the floppy and continue with the moving.
mattjgalloway
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Install Gentoo on a Linux box Reply with quote

Why don't you just install from FC3?

Just create your new partitions and then you'll just need to chroot into the new environment. Much like installing gentoo from Knoppix. See http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/altinstall.xml under the last section - Installing Gentoo from an existing Linux distribution - isn't that what you want?
niklas.uhrberg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Install Gentoo on a Linux box Reply with quote

OK , that sounds reasonable. I went along that road but when I was to install parted on the floppy I was unable to create a minix file sstem on it. (Seems like there is no support for minix in my mkfs)

Anyway, suppose I decide to install Gentoo as the only OS on my computer and that I do not have a CDROM. What is the way to go then?

Can I for example use the tomsrt.. boot floppy and proceed from there by dowlloading the stage1 tarball?

/Niklas

mattjgalloway wrote:
Why don't you just install from FC3?

Just create your new partitions and then you'll just need to chroot into the new environment. Much like installing gentoo from Knoppix. See http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/altinstall.xml under the last section - Installing Gentoo from an existing Linux distribution - isn't that what you want?
Lennart Benschop
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Install Gentoo on a Linux box Reply with quote

niklas.uhrberg wrote:

Anyway, suppose I decide to install Gentoo as the only OS on my computer and that I do not have a CDROM. What is the way to go then?

Can I for example use the tomsrt.. boot floppy and proceed from there by dowlloading the stage1 tarball?

Looks like this might work, provided the kernel on the tomsrbt floppy is reasonably recent (2.4) and it has the commands to download/unpack the stage1 tarball. Does it come with bzip for instance? What your floppy should be able to do:

tools to setup the network (ifconfig etc).
    tools to partition the disk and make the file system (fdisk, mke2fs)
    tools to download the tarball (wget, lynx, ftp anything).
    tools to unpack the tarball (tar, bzip2)
    chroot

Once you 'chroot' into the /mnt/gentoo directory, you are using only the tools that were contained in the stage1 tarball, so it should be plain sailing from there.
niklas.uhrberg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Install Gentoo on a Linux box Reply with quote

Lennart Benschop wrote:
niklas.uhrberg wrote:

Looks like this might work, provided the kernel on the tomsrbt floppy is reasonably recent (2.4) and it has the commands to download/unpack the stage1 tarball. Does it come with bzip for instance? What your floppy should be able to do:

tools to setup the network (ifconfig etc).
    tools to partition the disk and make the file system (fdisk, mke2fs)
    tools to download the tarball (wget, lynx, ftp anything).
    tools to unpack the tarball (tar, bzip2)
    chroot

Once you 'chroot' into the /mnt/gentoo directory, you are using only the tools that were contained in the stage1 tarball, so it should be plain sailing from there.

It has ifconfig but is that sufficient to setup networking? I use ifup to actually activate the interface but the floppy does not contain ifup.

/Niklas
racoontje
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought ifup was some fancy wrapper around ifconfig?
Code:
ifconfig eth0 up

=
Code:
ifup eth0

If I thought
dwblas
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to a topic titled Installing Gentoo Over Some Other System
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=125553&highlight=portage+rescue
Basically, you install the portage rescue system and start emerging. I haven't tried it, but it looks like the easiest way.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: