Mounting existing RAID from LiveCD?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arainach
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Mounting existing RAID from LiveCD? Reply with quote

I've got Gentoo 2004.3 installed on a SATA RAID0. It installed fine, booted from GRUB fine, everything. However, when going through the LTSP guide, I apparently misconfigured my tftp service because when booting to Gentoo, it gets so far and then freezes on "Starting in.tftpd....". I'm currently booted to the Gentoo LiveCD; I've modprobed sata-via, md, and raid0. I've re-created /etc/raidtab. But "mount /dev/md0 /mnt/gentoo" isn't working. I get a "/dev/md0: Invalid argument; mount:/dev/md0: can't read superblock" Any tips?
adaptr
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If either the software RAID versions or the filesystem versions are not exactly the same you are more than likely to get into trouble...

You say you have re-created the raidtab, but did you create the array with a persistent superblock ?

If not, it's safe to say that mounting it with another kernel will fail.
Arainach
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently booted into the same LiveCD (and thus the same kernel) that the RAID was originally created in; also, when I created it, persistent-superblock was set to 1 in my /etc/raidtab, although I used "mdadm --create --verbose /dev/md0 --level=0 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sda3 /dev/sdb3" to create the RAID.

Are there any options I can pass to the kernel from GRUB to make it not initialize the script? Would single-user mode fix my problem? Is changing the runlevel down to 2 possible from GRUB?

EDIT: I removed in.tftpd in single user mode. I wish I had thought of that earlier. Thanks for trying to help, though.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: