Odd Cron Errors
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clutch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 8:39 pm    Post subject: Odd Cron Errors Reply with quote

I setup VCRON when installing Gentoo (out of 5 installation attempts, this one has gone the farthest) but I am having issues with 2 commands that the logger seems to be trying. The first one is:

root test -x /usr/sbin/run-crons && /usr/sbin/run-crons (that's from the subject line in the email) and the body reads "/bin/sh: line 1: root: command not found". I am using Metalog, so this occurs every 15 minutes. The next one is:

root rm -f /var/spool/cron/lastrun/cron.hourly (again, in the subject line from the email) and this occurs hourly. The body of this email reads the same as the body from the other one. I tried the "test -x..." command from the command line, and I received no error. Also, the cron.hourly file does exist but was empty the last time I checked it. Could someone shed some light on this? I installed these from the suggestions in the install guide, and vcron installed SSMTP which is how I'm getting these emails (the are going to my Exchange server). This is a Gentoo 1.4 installation, and the errors started as soon as I rebooted after configuring GRUB (they actually started showing up in the console, and then I got a crash course in SSMTP in order to get these entries to go to a real email account). Thanks for any info.

clutch
clutch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like I am not alone. After going through my search hits here, I found these two unlucky souls as well:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=24678

and

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=25655

We all seem to be in the same boat, using the same stock config from the installation how-to. Anybody have any ideas here?

clutch
clutch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I think I might have found the issue. The most current install directions read more clearly that you shouldn't need to run "crontab /etc/crontab" when using vcron. Since I didn't do it on a new installation today, I haven't recieved any errors (I am assuming that vcron pruns the jobs differently). If you are still having the issue, try running "crontab -e" as su/sudo and remove the /etc/crontab job reference.

clutch
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: