Shrinking an lvm logical volume group
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
/dev/random
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:40 am    Post subject: Shrinking an lvm logical volume group Reply with quote

I have searched the forums and read the lvm howto along with man resize2fs but I still can't figure this out.

My lvm setup works like this: I my primary IDE hard drive has 40 gb of 120 on /dev/vg/home, my secondary IDE has 80 gb of 120 gb in the same group, and I just added my entire 120 gb SATA drive to the volume group.

What I want to do is remove the 40 gb that my primary IDE drive has in the group. The problem is pvmove won't let me move the extents from the 40 gb partition espite the fact that i have 140 gb free on my volume group. Also, man resize2fs says to shrink the file system first, but shrinking it by 40 gb couldn't work because the it would just again decrease by 40 gb when I remove the 40 gb partition from the volume group. How can I free this partition from my logical volume group?
NotQuiteSane
Guru
Guru

Location: Klamath Falls, Jefferson, USA, North America, Midgarth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your primary IDE the first physical volume of the logical group? I belive you can't remove the 1st PV without removing the other 2 first.

why do you want to remove that PV? why not just shrink the LV by 40GB's and then have that space to create a new partition?

if you wish to physically remove the PV, my advice is to backup the data, remove the entire volume group, then re-create it with tho old drive removed, and restore from backup

NQS

As I see it -- An irregular blog, Improved with new location

To delete French language packs from system use 'sudo rm -fr /'
/dev/random
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to remove that PV so I can make a partition that I could use for Linux, Windows, and maybe *BSD so it can't be LVM. I was hoping to avoid the backing up and redoing it all idea but oh well I can use it to test out my DVD burner I guess.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: