Network setup????(confused)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tinksmartbstupid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:08 pm    Post subject: Network setup????(confused) Reply with quote

I'm a newbie and I need some help. I've used suse linux before but that does almost everything for you. I don't know how to set up my nic card so that I can get online. I use a cablemodem and realtec rtl8139/810x family pci fast ethernet nic. I don't know any dns and I'm using a linksys router, a linksys switch, and a linksys wireless gateway. could someone please help me with the network part of the install, I'm sure I can get most of the rest by my self, thanks

Richey
Cyris
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you normally attain your IP information?

DHCP?????
STATIC?????

I assume that your LINKSYS router is obtaining the IP info from the cable modem via DHCP, sooooo the question is how do you have your router setup? Is it handing out IPs (DHCP) or did you opt to statically assign them when you configured it?

Normally, if you are using DHCP, just run <pci-setup> and then run <dhcp eth0>. Your NIC should be found using pci-setup.

If you are using static just follow the instruction below.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Manual Static Configuration

We need to setup just enough networking so that we can download sources for the system build, as well as the required localhost interface. Type in the following commands, replacing $IFACE with your network interface (typically eth0), $IPNUM with your IP address, $BCAST with your broadcast address, and $NMASK with your network mask. For the route command, replace $GTWAY with your default gateway.

Code listing 5.4: Static IP Network Configuration

# ifconfig $IFACE $IPNUM broadcast $BCAST netmask $NMASK
# /sbin/route add -net default gw $GTWAY netmask 0.0.0.0 metric 1

$IFACE would be your NIC (eth0). $IPNUM would be the IP address you are going to assign your NIC. $BCAST would be the broadcast number for your network (i.e. network 10.10.100.0 255.255.255.0 would have a broadcast of 10.10.100.255). $NMASK would be your network mask (i.e. 255.255.255.0 based on the example above). And of course $GTWAY would be the ip address of your default gateway.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Now it's time to create the /etc/resolv.conf file so that name resolution (finding Web/FTP sites by name, rather than just by IP address) will work.

Here's a template to follow for creating your /etc/resolv.conf file:

Code listing 5.5: /etc/resolv.conf template

domain mydomain.com
nameserver 10.0.0.1
nameserver 10.0.0.2

Replace 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2 with the IP addresses of your primary and secondary DNS servers respectively.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hope this helps.
nomoore
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rtl8139 cards are very common. The installation cd should recognize it without any extra work.

The Linksys router should work as a dhcp server. All you should need to do is follow instructions for dhcp to automatically detect network settings.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: