View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
massimo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: two monitors, one GPU and KDE [SOLVED] Reply with quote

I know there are a lot of threads discussing xinerama, twinview etc. but my problem is slightly different from these. I have a Nvidia Ti 4200. There are two monitors (CRT) connected to this card (one standard and the other via DVI). I don't use Nvidia's TwinView since the two monitors cannot work with the same resolution and frequency - I don't like the panning, you know... So I just configured xorg with two monitors, two screens and two devices; I put in the ServerLayout
Code:

Screen 0        "Screen1"
        Screen 1        "Screen2" RightOf "Screen1"

I doesn't matter which monitor I put in which screen definition, kdm and kde take always the same monitor as the primary(with the login dialog) monitor - the one on the DVI. How can I change this? Or maybe someone has a TwinView solution for me :)

Last edited by massimo on Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
danorris
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the answer to the kdm problem, but I think you should be able to get TwinView to do what you want with the different resolutions. Check out nVidia's README & installation guide, Appendix I. Specifically, search for the "MetaModes" option and read about panning domains a few paragraphs down.

I've not used panning domains myself (I use the same resolution on both monitors), so unfortunately I can't give you working config directives, but from what I read I think this should work.

HTH and Happy Holidays...
massimo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I mentioned in my first post in this thread that I don't like the panning. Another reason for not using the panning is that one monitor which is actually working at a certain frequency and a certain resolution works with the same resolution but not with the same frequency in the TwinView mode. And it's not the monitor with the panning mode. Maybe someone knows why this is so or/and how to fix this.

Thanks,
danorris
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I should've been more clear. What I meant is that I think it's possible to completely disable all panning if the MetaModes are set up correctly. As I understand it, that's what the "panning domains" are for, so you can define the virtual screen sizes for each monitor separately and the entire combined desktop. So you should be able to restrict the virtual screen sizes to be the same size as each monitor's resolution... therefore no panning. But like I said I haven't actually done this so I could be wrong. But IMHO it might be worth playing around with those panning domains.

As for frequency... that's odd. There's got to be some way around that problem, too... any mode that works in a split screen config should work in TwinView, too. I wish I had an actual suggestion for you... hopefully a more TwinView-savvy user will stumble across this thread =)

Happy Holidays...
massimo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I found a solution :)
In order to assign a monitor as the primary display the xorg.conf has to have the following Option in the Screen section:
Code:

Section "Screen"
            Identifier "Screen1"
            [...]
            Option "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT-1"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
            Identifier "Screen2"
            [...]
            Option "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT-0"
EndSection

With this directive (actually from the TwinView extension) you can assign a monitor as the primary monitor. I think this should work with [LCD|TV|*]-[0|1|n] etc. as well. In my case the desired primary monitor was "CRT-1", so play with this option.
This option is in Nvidia's Linux driver README in the Appendix for TwinView mentioned, but I don't know if the way I use it, it was intended to be used (since I don't use the TwinView mode at all).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: