View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marlofkark
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: Nautilus not drawing desktop in GNOME Reply with quote

After upgrading to GNOME 2.8 a few weeks ago on x86 stable, Nautilus stopped drawing the desktop. It may have nothing to do with the upgrade, since Nautilus seems to behave properly and provide my wife's account with a Desktop. Still, I had used GNOME 2.6 and 2.4 extensively without a similar error. It started with GNOME hanging at the splash screen. I CTRL-ALT- Backspaced, rebooted, and logged back into GNOME via GDM successfully except that Nautilus fails to draw the background. Nautilus itself loads fine as a file browser. I've also noticed that the menus in the Applications Menu loose its default icons & most of the programs from time to time & then they are suddenly back. Any ideas?
merlinBSD
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check app>nautilus>preferences in gconf and be sure that nautilus is told to draw the background...
If that doesnt work it means that your config files for gnome are a bit messed up.
If I were you I would save my bookmarks (if you use epiphany) and I would just delete "~/.gnome2" and "~/.gnome2_private"
InsaneHamster
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:40 am    Post subject: nautilus fluxbox and icrons Reply with quote

i had a problem with nautilus not drawing any icons under fluxbox

it was weird still dont know how to fix that ?
vash-stampeed
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well marlofkark, let me tell ya.. that hapened to me once, the desktop issue, and what I did to fix it was the following:
in your home directory must be a folder named .gnome and .gnome2, the truth is that I don't remember which one I deleted to get nautilus working again, but you should try to do a backup of each one of them and delete one at a time and restart your session... that'll make nautilus to recreate the folder you deleted and it should fix your problem...

At least it did solved mine :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: