another fstab issue
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gentoonie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: another fstab issue Reply with quote

Alright, i got a new harddisk that i only want to use for file storage like mp3 videos and stuff.

But now i have some fstab trouble, this partition is /dev/hde1 and its reiserfs.
When i put it like this:
Code:
/dev/hde1      /mnt/video   reiserfs   noauto,user,defaults,umask=000  0 0
i get a error code:
Code:
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hde1, or too many mounted file systems

With
Code:
/dev/hde1      /mnt/video   reiserfs   noatime,user,defaults           0 0
i can mount it, but not write on it.

The Folder /mnt/video belongs to me and users group, but when mounted it changes to root/root. Whats the right entry in fstab? =/
hds
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: another fstab issue Reply with quote

Gentoonie wrote:
Code:
/dev/hde1  /mnt/video reiserfs noatime,user,defaults         0 0

keep it simple:
Code:

/dev/hde1  /mnt/video auto auto,noatime  0 0
Gentoonie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, but i didnt mention that my trouble appears when trying to acces as a user. I am not able to write on this partition, just root is allowed to. I want to use it for the users group read and writable.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoonie wrote:
okay, but i didnt mention that my trouble appears when trying to acces as a user. I am not able to write on this partition, just root is allowed to. I want to use it for the users group read and writable.

Well, it seems like you haven't set the perms properly. If /mnt/dir belongs to you in place of root only means that you can mount anything into it, but does not give you any writting priviledges over his contents. umask=000 means that new files will have that perms, but does not mean that you will be able to writte on that drive. You have to mount as root and then change the permissions of that dir and its contents, so that everyone can write on it. The owner of the /mnt/dir directory can be root with no problem, so you make sure that no one will be able to erase it.
hds
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoonie wrote:
okay, but i didnt mention that my trouble appears when trying to acces as a user.

sure you did, but:
Gentoonie wrote:

I am not able to write on this partition, just root is allowed to. I want to use it for the users group read and writable.

no, i understood you that way that you alone would like to acess it anyway. are there actually other users who need write permission? this is still unclear to me. if not - did you even try my suggestion?

to give you an example:
this is my workstation here, and i am the one and only user. so (in your case, /mnt/mp3) could have the permissions of your own only (700) and you are able to access, read, write.
thats where my fstab entry comes in, and should fit you well.

are there actually more users accessing this mountpoint apart from you? in this case the permissions of the directory should be 770 and owned by <yourname>:users

infact of the ability deleting files in that directory, it depends what permissions those have. it depends on your umask setting. this is a different issue we could get at next, if you clarify.
ttyl

btw: oops: 6thpink was going @ the same issue as i figure. i know it sucks leaving reply windows open too long because called back by something else, though.. ;)
Gentoonie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay thanks both of you for your patience, now i got the solution :)

hds you were right in assuming that only me should be able to perform any action on this harddrive, so 700 was the right permission.

Actually the point i lagged was 6thpink advice to change the owner flags when the drive is mounted, now everything works fine.
hds
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoonie wrote:

Actually the point i lagged was 6thpink advice to change the owner flags when the drive is mounted, now everything works fine.

really? usually those permissions go away if you reboot.
lousyd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: another fstab issue Reply with quote

Gentoonie wrote:
When i put it like this:
Code:
/dev/hde1      /mnt/video   reiserfs   noauto,user,defaults,umask=000  0 0
i get a error code:
Code:
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hde1, or too many mounted file systems

That's because reiserfs doesn't take the umask option.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: