Boot Hangs
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Publino
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:04 am    Post subject: Boot Hangs Reply with quote

After becoming sick of the lack of control one gets with Mandrake, I try to use Gentoo on my Persario 905 EA. Right after having burnt the Live CD x86 Minimal with the damned Windwos XP, The installation hangs while installing. I've tried to type some boot options, but the system always halts when trying to mount the cd-rom. What boot option should I give to the Kernel to prevent this?
pivertd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi !

If you have troubles with the gentoo CD (I already got some too), you can try witn a knoppix or kanotix cd...

There is a small guide for installing gentoo from knoppix on the gentoo documentation web site.

Bye
Publino
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the help but couldn't it be possible that the installation works without knoppix? I don't want to download the knoppix if not necessary. More suggestions?
I use the minimal x86 live cd
pivertd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mhh I don't know all kernel parameters you can put at boot,
but you can try some such as "noacpi".

But I don't think it will help because your problem here seems to be that your ide controller and/or your cdrom is not correctly detected.

In this case, I would recomment a kanotix boot cd.. (this is the same as knoppix, but with latest kernel).

It's hard to say more...
Sorry...
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks Reply with quote

Publino wrote:
Thanks for the help but couldn't it be possible that the installation works without knoppix? I don't want to download the knoppix if not necessary. More suggestions?
I use the minimal x86 live cd

If you have more than one cd-drive try to boot from the first of them, thus hdb tipically. Sometimes gentoo run into trouble when booting from hdc (for me at least). Anyway, how does it hangs? Could you provide more info about the error, please?
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Boot Hangs Reply with quote

Publino wrote:
After becoming sick of the lack of control one gets with Mandrake, I try to use Gentoo on my Persario 905 EA. Right after having burnt the Live CD x86 Minimal with the damned Windwos XP, The installation hangs while installing. I've tried to type some boot options, but the system always halts when trying to mount the cd-rom. What boot option should I give to the Kernel to prevent this?

Sounds like ide=nodma may help. If it doesn't work, I'd try inserting all the options that start with "no-". :lol:
Publino
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Found it Reply with quote

Thanks to someone with more than enough Gentoo-expereience, I found out that USB killed the system.

The option passed to the kernel should sound like nousb

For now, Gentoo installes a lot easier than Mandrake and so on. My system works the way I want and I used the from scratch installation.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: