installing gimp2.2 without updating portage
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yzonesoft
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:54 am    Post subject: installing gimp2.2 without updating portage Reply with quote

I installed gentoo 2004.2, installed GRP from package CD, it shows gimp 2.0 as latest version, I need to emerge gimp-2.2 but without updating portage. Can I do this....

I tried coppying gimp-2.2.ebuild into gimp portage directory, but emerge search gimp still show gimp 2.0 as latest ???
hds
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

without updating portage you mean without "emerge sync", do i get this correct?

the proper way would be to put the ebuild to /usr/local/portage. see "man portage" how this is done.
yzonesoft
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
without updating portage you mean without "emerge sync", do i get this correct?

yes
hds
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah well, then try as i suggested, or doesnt it work?

btw. i wonder why you dont want run emerge sync.. you would have to download the ebuild anyway, so why not syncing 8O
noergeli
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know which ebuild you use, but gimp 2.2 is hardmasked for now. Try adding "media-gfx/gimp" to /etc/portage/package.unmask. It also requires freetype >=2.1.7 and you migt need an ebuild for it (2.1.9 is the recent version, 2.1.7 has been removed from portage). You might also need to specify ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" for it.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noergeli wrote:
I don't know which ebuild you use, but gimp 2.2 is hardmasked for now. Try adding "media-gfx/gimp" to /etc/portage/package.unmask. It also requires freetype >=2.1.7 and you migt need an ebuild for it (2.1.9 is the recent version, 2.1.7 has been removed from portage). You might also need to specify ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" for it.
Well, if your don't want such a thing then download and compile by hand. That never fails, almost......... :twisted:
yzonesoft
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
btw. i wonder why you dont want run emerge sync.. you would have to download the ebuild anyway, so why not syncing Shocked

I want something like a windows setup file or redhat rpm, that I will store it in the CD, So whenever I install Gentoo [may be on other computer], I can setup these programs too.

Also, I will download huge files with windows [IDM, which is very fast], then put them in gentoo portage.

B.T.W: emerge sync will take how much time?

Here internet is costly...

Quote:
Well, if your don't want such a thing then download and compile by hand. That never fails, almost........

Ofcourse, but it seems that Gimp-2.2 has lot of dependencies and I have to install it...phew it is going to take days on my computer[900MHz celeron,i810e motherboard,256MB RAM] to compile them...[btw. compiling of kopete 0.9.2 already took 1 hr 30 min and still goes...]
yzonesoft
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And..I will not be with the computer for three days :( , Going some tour... :D
hds
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yzonesoft wrote:

I want something like a windows setup file or redhat rpm, that I will store it in the CD, So whenever I install Gentoo [may be on other computer], I can setup these programs too.

--buildpkg comes to mind? again: "man portage". you definetely are able to do your own binarys.
yzonesoft wrote:

B.T.W: emerge sync will take how much time?

what a stupid question (sorry). we are talking rsync here. so the first run will take long, the updates less time.
yzonesoft wrote:

Here internet is costly...

so what? an "emerge sync" is about 1% of "emerge gimp" if we compare data transfered.
i seriously cant get your point!

see, i agree it is expensive if you do not have a flatrate, OK, but even if you choose any other distribution (SuSE?) you will run into the same issue. even using windows (see the size of the recent WinXP SP).
so i am not actually sure whats your point right now?
infact of security issues, you are able to run:
glsa-check -t all
and i am not aware of any other distribution haveing this feature.
so.. an update is of your very own desire, and yes.. itb will cost you bandwith (money in your case) whatever distribution you might choose.

My2Cents

btw: a little OT remark:
wasnt it the case that you doodes (from india) got some kind of a "GreenCard" to work in germany to help all of us out?
excuse me, but i can hardly hide a belly laugh now!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

btw2: the time you spent browisng this forum you could have spent doing an "emerge sync"
ever thought of this? and you could have known all about this, by simply reading the documentation!
now.. if this doesnt piss you off ;)
yzonesoft
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
btw2: the time you spent browisng this forum you could have spent doing an "emerge sync"
ever thought of this? and you could have known all about this, by simply reading the documentation!
now.. if this doesnt piss you off Wink

If I did a emerge sync, And download packages from from windows [IDM] , or D4X, or KGet. Then issue emerge gimp...Now there is no purpose of emerge sync,

It could have been better if I could put it like this emege gimp-2.2, and then it would install it[Without updating portage]

I have decided to compile gimp myself, then Install it [and then build something like rpm??? I ask stupid question, because I dont know]

By mean time; I will be reading some documentation.
FishB8
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are too many packages that gimp 2.2 requires that are just not available on the 2004.2 GRP. There is the freetype 2.1.7, but also a lot of gtk related libraries that need to be updated as well before it will compile. (this holds true both for doing it by ebuild or by hand)

Either way, you will have to find a way to add a bunch of packages to your system before you can build gimp 2.2.

The easiest way would just be to wait till GRP 2005.0 is out, install it, then install gimp 2.2. GRP 2005.0 should take care of most the dependency issues and be a lot less of a mess.
"...as we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously." -Benjamin Franklin
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: