View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alex
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: Gnome sound problem Reply with quote

Hi,

when I enable the gnome sound server, and test it with the gnome sound events it seems as if 6 or 7 sound threads are trying to play the sound at a time (which takes a long time to finish and sound awful).
Playing sound files via xmms or mplayer using alsa however gives no problems.
I also tried changing the GStreamer Preferences from ESD to ALSA, that however results in an error while testing "Failed to construct test pipeline for ALSA"
I'm currently out of ideas and couldn't find a post in the forum to help me further, so suggestions are welcome.

Alex
askew2005
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you really need the gnome sound server, I don't use it. I just use straight alsa, check out the alsa guide in the gentoo user docs. You might not be able to change your GStreamer Preferences to alsa because you are using OSS emulation, or else you just don't have it set up properly. Try changing you GStreamer Preferences to OSS and see what happens.
alex
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I already mentioned, the gnome sound server indeed isn't necessary to get sound out of the system, but it seems necessary for those programs that use the gnome esd.
Setting the GStreamer preferences to OSS results in the same error as with ALSA: "Failed to construct test pipeline for OSS" :cry:
MyKillK
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I can't really help you with your problem, but you mentioned changing gstreamer preferences. Are you talking about inside your media player, or is there a general gstreamer configuration program?
alex
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed the GStreamer Preferences by starting
"Applications -> Desktop Preferences -> Advanced -> Multimedia Systems Selector" from the Gnome Panel.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: