problem installing through VMware
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luckx0r
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:12 am    Post subject: problem installing through VMware Reply with quote

I had problem when I tried to untar stage3-x86-2004.2.tar.bz2 while installing through VMware 4.5.2
I gave guest OS as Linux 2.6.x kernel I have the screen shot of the error here http://geocities.com/luckx0r/gentoo.JPG
Even though I have sda, it looks for hdc.
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might the file be really corrupt, as the error message indicates?
durian
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hej,

I have more of a request than help (as the previous poster mentioned, maybe the error message is right and the file is corrupt). On the other hand, it says hdc instead of sda.

I tried installing Gentoo last week in VMWare, but I never got it to boot AFTER installation - very frustrating: it would hang. Tried different methods, boot en rescue disks, but nothing.

I tried Slackware after that, and I only got that to work with IDE type disks, not the vmware SCSI (diskfile) type. I saw from your screenshot you are using the "SCSI" type disks - if you get it to work, let us know, because I'd rather have Gentoo in my VMWare :-) (I didn't try gentoo with the IDE type yet, I still have a feeling the problem could lie there...)

-peter
Saribro
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: problem installing through VMware Reply with quote

luckx0r wrote:
I had problem when I tried to untar stage3-x86-2004.2.tar.bz2 while installing through VMware 4.5.2
I gave guest OS as Linux 2.6.x kernel I have the screen shot of the error here http://geocities.com/luckx0r/gentoo.JPG
Even though I have sda, it looks for hdc.

I think you forgot to cd into /mnt/gentoo.

I think you're trying to untar onto your LiveCD (or .iso), judging by your prompt.

And like the errors say, try testing the file, and if f00ked, download and try again (if you have network available at install).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: