Changing to the cascaded profile
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Changing to the cascaded profile Reply with quote

Since portage 2.0.51 has been marked stable on ppc, we now have the ability to use cascaded profiles. For a more in depth explanation of cascaded profiles, see here, but basically, cascaded profiles make maintence of the profiles (default settings and other important stuff) a whole lot easier. The issues we've been seeing with pam and the recent virtual/fam issues would not have occurred had we been using the cascaded profiles. Since we will be transisitioning to the cascaded profile, now would be a great time to switch!

So, you may ask, how does one go about changing their profile to the cascaded profile? Easy!

Code:

rm /etc/make.profile
  ln -s /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/ppc/2004.3 /etc/make.profile

If everything goes right, you shouldn't see a difference, but it will make the developers' lives a little easier. Let us know how it works for you.

Thanks!

Note:
Thanks to Choisy for pointing out that the list of applications included in an emerge system has changed to improve flexibility. If you use these applications, you should re-emerge them so things like depclean don't remove them.

Applications affected:
sys-apps/slocate
net-misc/dhcpcd
app-arch/sharutils
sys-apps/powerpc-utils
sys-apps/setserial
sys-boot/yaboot
sys-apps/fbset

Last edited by JoseJX on Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:19 am; edited 2 times in total
MiniMoose
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Thanks!
I'll give it a try tonight.
choisy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, but when using the cascaded profile, 'emerge -p depclean' wants to remove tons of apps, most of which come from 'emerge system'.... I can remember 'yaboot' for instance... Back to the normal profile for now ;)

EDIT: ok, I'll try to make this message more useful... Using the normal profile, 'emerge -p depclean' has no candidate for removal, which is normal. Now, if I switch to the cascaded one, here's what it wants to remove :

sys-apps/slocate
net-misc/dhcpcd
app-arch/sharutils
sys-apps/powerpc-utils
sys-apps/setserial
sys-boot/yaboot
sys-apps/fbset

voilà... hope it helps you fixing it :)
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The profile doesn't need to be fixed, those apps now have to be installed manually since they're not part of a bare working system. Yaboot and powerpc-utils don't make much sense on a pegasos box. sharutils, setserial, slocate, fbset and dhcpcd are not required apps for a running system, so they were removed. For the "not required" apps, we're inheriting the choices made by the rest of Gentoo (one of the great features of the cascaded profiles!), but the ppc specific apps are our choice. An emerge system should really only include the applications required for basic system operation and dropping these apps are part of an attempt to give the user more flexibility.

I will add an instruction to emerge the above pacakges when switching the profile, thanks for the feedback!
th1nk3r
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I made this conversion and try "emerge -p depclean', the script uninstalled attr and acl. I don't considere this important, but when the depclean erase this packages, my gentoo stop working.
I coultdn't re-emerge the packets or run some standar apps (like a simple 'ls'). I realised my error, the depclean delete some very important shared libs: libacl and libattr.

I have reinstaled the libs using the livecd and some ppc.rpms (thanks rpm2targz xD) and I'm instaling the acl and attr again without problems.

Only a note for stupid users like me ;)
_savage
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heya guys,

I switched to the cascading profiles and so far it all went very smooth. Out of curiosity I did a

Code:
emerge -p depclean

Packages installed:   520
Packages in world:    152
Packages in system:   64
Unique package names: 466
Required packages:    483
Number to remove:     48

Some of the packages are the ones JoseJX and Choisy were talking about. Since I never do a depclean anyway, I don't think it really matters, does it?

On another note: the /etc/make.profile is a soft linkt to the current portage profile of 2004.3. Does that mean I have to change the link every quarter or something??

Cheers,
Jens
jaspal kallar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On another note: the /etc/make.profile is a soft linkt to the current portage profile of 2004.3. Does that mean I have to change the link every quarter or something??

Yes I have the same question/concern?
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually, a new profile is only added when there is a new release. Changing it mostly only changes a new installation. You'll be notified by portage when the particular profile that you're using is depreciated (and slated for removal).

However, because of the recent addition of cascaded profiles we're recommending that you switch to the new one. This change is actually less likely to occur in the future because of the way cascading profiles can inherit properties.

So to sum all that up: No, you do not need to change your profile whenever a new one is available. :)
gnomeza
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've changed to the cascaded profile using

Code:
rm /etc/make.profile
ln -s /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/ppc/2005.0 /etc/make.profile

But then when I used qpkg to get the dependents of mozilla I got:

Code:
qpkg -q -I mozilla
net-www/mozilla-1.7.3 *
DEPENDED ON BY:
        evolution-2.0.0
grep: /etc/make.profile/packages: No such file or directory
        mozilla-thunderbird-1.0
        epiphany-1.4.4
        mozilla-1.7.3
net-www/mozilla-launcher-1.23 *
DEPENDED ON BY:
        mozilla-thunderbird-1.0
        mozilla-1.7.3
mail-client/mozilla-thunderbird-1.0 *
DEPENDED ON BY:

This doesn't seem to be a problem, since equery will get a package's dependents without a problem, but is there something else that I need to do here to use cascaded profiles?
mpiter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume that we should use a link to /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/ppc64/2004.3 for a G5. Is it correct?

pit
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: