View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
insanepl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:48 am    Post subject: Cannot run in framebuffer mode - common solutions don't help Reply with quote

I've installed Gentoo 2004.3 from stage 1 with kernel 2.6.9-gentoo-r13 and now I'm trying to install kde. I've emerged it (it took me 11.5 hours ;)) but there are problems with starting x server. When i type startx I get such error:
Code:
New driver is "ati"
(==) Using default built-in configuration (53 lines)
(WW) RADEON: No matching Device Section for instance (BusID PCI:3:0:1) found

Fatal server error:
Cannot run in framebuffer mode. Please sepcify busIDs for all framebuffer devices

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support at http://wiki.X.org for help.

Please also check the log file at "var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.

XIO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0" after 0 requests (0 known processed) with - events remaining.

so I started looking for a solution...
I found one that was about recompile kernel without anything that says "framebuffer". It is rather strange solution so, so far, I don't want to use it. I hope there are more elegant solutions...
Another one was reading Gentoo Linux Documentation -- The X Server Configuration HOWTO - it also didn't work. There were errors during Xorg -configure:
Code:
Symbol XAAScreenIndex from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/siliconmotion_drv.o is unresolved
# many more same errors like the one above...
*** If unresolved symbols were reported abovem they might not
*** be the reason for the server aborting

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11. Server aborting

Please consult (...)

Aborted

Now I am updating xorg-x11 to the newest version (with ending 8) but I don't think it helps (I was using the version that was actual yesterday with 7 at the end so...).

Any ideas? It's getting late for me. Since New Year I must continue writing my bachelor's work (I don't know if this is the correct name...) and without graphical interface it might be quite hard - I would even say impossible...

Thanks for any help...

PS. I'm using ATI Radeon 9600 Pro Sapphire Adantage which I've installed using emerge ati-drivers... Maybe there is sth wrong with them?
fieldgeek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Same boat Reply with quote

I did a clean Stage 3 build and have the same problem. I'm running an ATI 8500 with emerged drivers. All worked well with 2004.2 but not with this build of 2004.3 :cry:
Cadorna
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

both of you, please try to start X with the vesa driver instead of ATI to see if that helps, I don't use ATI (I have an nVidia) but as I heard ATI is (or was) having problems with Xorg

if vesa doens't help, let us know
rmautino
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having the exact same problem as you describe above.

I started with a Stage 3 bootstrapped (Stage 1 using Stage 3)

I try to start KDE and get the same above error.

P4 2.6.9-r13 Portage current as of Jan 3.

Any ideas on what it is or where to look?
insanepl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cadorna gave the right solution (that I found by myself earlier, hueh ;)). Recompile your kernel with old ati driver and then choose with xorgconfig to use driver number 6 (as far as I remember) that is named [radeon]. Then everything should work fine.
robbar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a ATI chip on my laptop and had similar problems when I tried the framebuffer mode on startup. But after reading this:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=49036&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

I could get it running and I hope you will find something useful there, too.
Optimus'
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember I was having a similar problem with vesafb-tng, X just wouldn't run, so I switched to plain vesafb and everything worked fine. Perhaps try this? :?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: