Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Does mirrorselect always do more harm than good?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soluzar
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Does mirrorselect always do more harm than good? Reply with quote

This is my 4th time or so of installing Gentoo linux, on various boxes, twice from stage one, so I'm starting to get a pretty good feel for the way the install process works. Every time I have done the 'mirrorselect' part of the installation, it has caused problems, and on one occasion inserted random garbage into my make.conf.

The only solution which ever allowed me to progress to the end of the install process was to remove or comment the mirrors line from my make.conf.

I now ask if it is not advisable to remove this troublesome utility from the install handbook altogether. Opinions?
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always add the mirrors I want manually to /etc/make.conf

Just pick a couple that work well for you from this list : Gentoo Linux Mirrors
taurus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used that command to add a mirror site to my /etc/make.conf because it trashes my /etc/make.conf every single time!!! I add it in my hand

GENTOO_MIRRORS="http:<whichever the closest to you>"

taurus
cfaun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I run it, it adds mirrors that don't work...
forkboy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It worked perfectly for me when I used it.
racoontje
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worked fine for me too, but I manually selected my servers afterwards and they were faster than the ones mirrorselect thought I needed.
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

racoontje wrote:
Worked fine for me too, but I manually selected my servers afterwards and they were faster than the ones mirrorselect thought I needed.

I agree. I know of a very fast server in my own country. But when i run mirrorselect and check the GENTOO_MIRRORS line later, all the servers are in other countries. It didn't even see my fast local server. :-(
theprez98
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: installation problems Reply with quote

During the install process, when gentoo 'fetches' the source files from various servers (emerge --fetchonly system) the connections often abort and sometimes timeout (and take a long time to timeout). Is this a mirrorselect problem?

It has often ended up aborting the process. I have had a little bit of luck starting it again, but it ends up stalling on several servers.

How can I fix this process?

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide.
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: installation problems Reply with quote

theprez98 wrote:
During the install process, when gentoo 'fetches' the source files from various servers (emerge --fetchonly system) the connections often abort and sometimes timeout (and take a long time to timeout). Is this a mirrorselect problem?

Most likely.

And the remedy, as some have already said, is to manually insert mirrors into make.conf.
  1. Edit make.conf and remove the GENTOO_MIRRORS line totally.
  2. Using links, go to http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/mirrors.xml and search for a mirror in your country, or the one nearest to yours.
  3. Edit make.conf again and insert the GENTOO_MIRRORS line in the form of
    Code:
    GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://mirror1 http://mirror2 ftp://mirror3"
theprez98
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. I figured this was the problem, I just wanted some further advice before I started again. I'll try again...
Crucis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try
Code:
mirrorselect -i

and pick the servers nearer to you :D
rkasting
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get rid of it, unless someone wants to make it really work. It almost made me give up on the distro, until I realized that it was all just messed up from mirrorselect.

Now I've gotten the system up and running with no problem.. only I'm going to rebuild from stage1 because I misguidedly gave up on it because of mirrorselect issues.

Do you know how I feel? LOL...
Rudy1066
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, mirrorselect has been a unneeded pain-in-the butt. The last time I tried, it inserted 45,000 lines of garbage into my make.conf. It is much easier to manually select a mirror based on your experience and geographical location.
Gentoo Linux
beandog
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crucis wrote:
Try
Code:
mirrorselect -i

Thats exactly what I was going to say too.

Once I found out about that option, I won't do anything else!

For those of you too lazy to try it ... the -i means interactive mode. It pops up a nice little ncurses interface with the mirrors and what countries they are in. You select the ones you want and it drops it in make.conf.

Nice. :)

Steve
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crucis wrote:
Try
Code:
mirrorselect -i

if you do this, remember that there can be a significant difference between mirrors that are geographically close to you, and mirrors that are close to you in terms of IP hops.

i'm sitting on top of one of the big internet pipes in Chicago, and i'm closer to some mirrors in Europe than I am to ones that are 15 miles away from me.
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo.
cazort
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, now my beef. MIRRORSELECT IS SO SLOW!!! Why? Is there some ridiculous timeout period? From my perspective, if a server hasn't responded in 15 seconds, why does it sit waiting for it?

How can I change the timeout? I ran mirrorselect 5 minutes ago, and it's still only about a third the way through checking the mirrors. Most mirrors respond instantly, but occasionally they trip it up.

Also, I've run into a more serious problem with mirrorselect: often, it'll check a mirror as fast that has a small number of allowed connections. I then try to run emerge at a different time of day, and there's no way in hell I can get onto that ftp site. Often, because the fast sites are the ones that only allow a few users on, I've had it be that mirrorselect picks a handful of such sites, and then when I actually come to start building a system, none of the mirrors it picks work at all, and then it defaults back to some extremely slow mirrors.

Argh. I agree. It's terrible. Why can't we fix these issues?
Bose-Einstein
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, anyone know why it just fills make.conf with unreadable characters (every single time)
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I must be really lucky as I do not remember ever having to use Mirrorselect even when installing my system [Perhaps I did use it and I just kinda glazed over it.I get pretty much maximum download speed as well, it is definetly a shame that Mirrorselect has a way of screwing up make.conf though. But why is it even adding mirrors to that particular file, that does not seem to make sense what about the rest of you, does it seem logical at all? I would think you would have a seperate mirrors file and leave make.conf for configuring portage features alone.

"First there was nothing, so the lord gave us light. There was still nothing, but at least you could see it."
StringCheesian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever a few mirrors are down or don't respond, it fools mirrorselect into thinking they're the fastest ones. It should verify that it actually got the number of bytes it was supposed to download.
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StringCheesian wrote:
Whenever a few mirrors are down or don't respond, it fools mirrorselect into thinking they're the fastest ones. It should verify that it actually got the number of bytes it was supposed to download.
Your not serious are you? Please tell me you are joking, because if you are not that is probably one of the worst bugs I have ever heard of.

"First there was nothing, so the lord gave us light. There was still nothing, but at least you could see it."
StringCheesian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadow Skill wrote:
StringCheesian wrote:
Your not serious are you? Please tell me you are joking, because if you are not that is probably one of the worst bugs I have ever heard of.

I'm serious. It happened to me when I tried mirrorselect a few months ago. mirrorselect -i was putting at the top all the mirrors that didn't respond, such that portage would try to download from them first.

It's probably just timing the download attempt - a "host not found" error happens faster than a 100k download.
gentoo_lan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadow Skill wrote:
StringCheesian wrote:

It has worked well for me in the past. However I have noticed some mirrors that don't appear to work when using it.
tercel
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Mirrorselect rewritten Reply with quote

I just thought that the people on this thread would be intereseted to know, I have rewritten mirrorselect from the ground up. I have fixed all the bugs mentioned here, including the "mirrorselect puts garbage in my make.conf" bug, and the issue with selecting broken mirrors as the fastest. (althought that particular bug was corrected in a previous release before my rewrite). In addition the whole thing is much more cleanly coded, so I should be able to keep on top of bug fixes and feature upgrades realtively easily, and its all a lot faster.

Most noteworthy is the algorithmic improvement I made to the "deep" mode, which downloads a test file off the mirrors. Mirrorselect will no longer waste time trying to download from a mirror after it has already become clear that the mirror in question will not be chosen.

It in package.mask right now, feel free to test it at your own risk. I welcome bug reports, and I'd like to get it stable as soon as possible
screwloose
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried out your new version of mirrorselect and found it to be perfect. Faster than before, doesn't trash my make.conf, picks good working mirrors. Good job!! :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: