stuck on the incomplete nitro & reiser4 wiki
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n3odi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: stuck on the incomplete nitro & reiser4 wiki Reply with quote

I've installed gentoo quite a few times before, but I'm not sure if there is anything I have to do different with the Reiser4 and the Nitro Kernels? The guide I used is

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Install_Gentoo_with_Reiser4_enabled_using_Lxnay%27s_Gentoo_RR4_LiveCD

However it's not finished yet. I'm at the part where I typically emerge gentoo-dev-sources however I just remembered that I need whatever the nitro kernel they are talking about? And I'm not sure how to emerge it (searching for nitro revealed no results) or where to get it? Could someone please help guide me in the right direction? As I've said I've installed gentoo before, so if someone could point out what I have to do different to get the nitro kernel and reiser4 system up, I would appreciate it :)
racoontje
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to get the nitro-sources ebuild manually.
n3odi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

racoontje wrote:
You need to get the nitro-sources ebuild manually.

How would I go about doing that? I'm still a bit new to gentoo and although knowing how to use portage I've never did any ebuilds.
eikketk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also use -mm, which is in portage AFAIK, and got reiser4 in.

Some other patchsets (-morph, -love, -nitro and my -ikke) also got reiser4 support, next to some more. Some of there are vanilla-based (-ikke), -ck based (-nitro), -mm based (love), dunno what -morph is based on :oops:

Homepage
nexus780
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you just get the "normal" source code archives and follow the instructions for them. I read somewhere how to do it, looked really simple actually, can't remember where tho :(
Pink
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

n3odi wrote:
How would I go about doing that? I'm still a bit new to gentoo and although knowing how to use portage I've never did any ebuilds.

If you are new to Gentoo I would not recommend using a third party (i.e. non Gentoo kernel) until you have your base system up and and running. If you reboot into nitro sources kernel and something goes wrong who are you going to ask for help? The Gentoo devs will ignore you (or tell you the same thing) because you are not using a Gentoo kernel.

However, if you are desperate, and again, I really recommend using a standard kernel from gentoo (you can always install Nitro once you have a working system) you need to put it in your portage overlay.

This article on Gentoo-wiki may be of interest to you.

HTH
n3odi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion, you're right I probably shouldn't use the nitro sources. However since I already formatted with Reiser4 can I use the regular gentoo-dev-sources kernel and patch it with Reiser4 support? If so how would I do this? The only reason I really wanted this was just for the Riser4 support.
Pink
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n3odi wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion, you're right I probably shouldn't use the nitro sources. However since I already formatted with Reiser4 can I use the regular gentoo-dev-sources kernel and patch it with Reiser4 support? If so how would I do this? The only reason I really wanted this was just for the Riser4 support.

Sorry, didn't really pick up on the reiser4 bit even though I had read it.

You've kind of backed yourself into a corner as far as kernel choices are concerned but do try nitro, I have used it in the past and have had no problems, my concern would be if you did run into problems then the devs will (quite rightly) not give you any time as you are using 3rd party stuff.

You could just try an mm-sources (as suggested by eikketk) from the portage tree, this will have the reiser4 patch in it and then you will be alright to shout for help with initial install problems (if you have any).

Once booted into your nice shiny mm-sources, create an overlay and try any of the 3rd party patchsets that have resier4 in them.

HTH a bit.
n3odi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your quick reply :)

I just tried emerging mm-sources and it said all of them are masked, upon trying to emerge the individual package it told me the specific key requires an operator? It said they are masked by the ~x86 keyword? How would I go about emerging them?
Pink
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To emerge masked packages (and remember they are masked for a reason - not too stable, not tested, etc) you add it to your package.keywords file in /etc/portage. (yes, that is correct: /etc/portage, not /usr/portage)

If the directory or file do not exist, create them.

Here's a bit of mine to give you an idea:
Code:
app-emulation/win4lin ~x86
app-portage/porthole ~x86
media-libs/libquicktime ~x86
media-libs/win32codecs ~x86

and so on, so add the sys-kernel/mm-sources version you want and you will be able to emerge it.
n3odi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh I see now, this is all starting to make sense. Thanks for the great help I really appreciate it. I always wondered what the keywords did because I just followed instructions but never really met a situation where I had to define them myself for a reason.
BlinkEye
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and to allow a specific version of an ebuild to be emerged use for example
Code:
=app-office/openoffice-ximian-bin-1.1.53 ~x86
=net-im/licq-1.3.0-r1 ~x86

- which is what you mostly want - in your /etc/portage/package.keywords . if i'd put
Code:
app-office/openoffice-ximian-bin ~x86
net-im/licq ~x86

portage would install every unstable version of these ebuilds instead of just the one i might want at the moment. you may even use '>' and '<', like
Code:
>=app-office/openoffice-ximian-bin-1.1.53 ~x86
<=net-im/licq-1.3.0-r1 ~x86

but of course, using >= results in almost the same behaviour as using no versioning at all
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: