Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
distcc or install/image/copy to other machine?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
torchZ06
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: distcc or install/image/copy to other machine? Reply with quote

got a question: i've got a single board computer that i'm trying to install gentoo on. the processor is a via ezra 800MHz. (the Safe CFlags document over on gentoo-wiki.com said that you could consider it a PII with 3dnow support.)

so i've also got a 2.8P4 running gentoo that i'd like to use to do all of the compiling. so would the best bet be to use distcc and let both boxen work on compiling or just do the install on the P4 (on a new partition, with new make.conf and stuff) and then copy the 'image' over to the other machine.

both machines are x86 machines, so i guess it wouldn't really be a cross-compile... they just use different optimizations. i.e. my p4 has -march=pentium4 set in its CFLAGS and that probably wouldn't work too well on the other machine.
Pat-rizio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my experience, I hope it helps.

I've install gentoo on an Epia motherboard with and embedded processor using distcc to help it during compilation.

The other CPUs that participate to package's compilation were 1 Pentium-Centrino 1.66Ghz and 1 AMD Thunderbird 700 Mhz.
(even if CPUs have different CFLAGS set it doesn't metter, they only must have the same gcc version)

I was able to use distcc after installing the base system on Epia, cause I think distcc have to run on any machine.
Maybe I don't understading clearly which is your goal, anyway I don't think distcc was created to manually copy a compilation made on one machine to another one...
Y z
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: distcc or install/image/copy to other machine? Reply with quote

torchZ06 wrote:

got a question: i've got a single board computer that i'm trying to install gentoo on. the processor is a via ezra 800MHz. (the Safe CFlags document over on gentoo-wiki.com said that you could consider it a PII with 3dnow support.)

so i've also got a 2.8P4 running gentoo that i'd like to use to do all of the compiling. so would the best bet be to use distcc and let both boxen work on compiling or just do the install on the P4 (on a new partition, with new make.conf and stuff) and then copy the 'image' over to the other machine.

I think it would be easier to, on the compiling machine:

Code:

CFLAGS=<your pii flags> emerge <whatever> --buildpkgonly

(the rest of the make.conf should not really be necessary, use /etc/portage/package.{use,keywords})

And then copy the package(s) to the target machine. After which, on the target machine, you would:

Code:

$ cp <packages> /usr/portage/distfiles/All
 $ emerge --usepkgonly <whatever>

Hope that helps,

Renald
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: