Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
logwatch; no output with syslog-ng; SOLVED! (sheepishly)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tgice
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: logwatch; no output with syslog-ng; SOLVED! (sheepishly) Reply with quote

I'm getting no output when I run logwatch.pl, and I'm running syslog-ng. I know this should work, b/c I have another gentoo machine running the same versions of syslog-ng and logwatch and logwatch works fine on that one. I'm also almost positive that I made no changes to the logwatch config on the first machine that works, and the configurations as far as I can tell are the same between the two machines (as far as logwatch goes, anyway). Obviously, something's amiss though.

So of course this is frustrating as all get out, and I've already spent an hour or more staring at it. Here's to hoping that someone else can hazard a guess as to my problem. The only concrete difference I can figure between the working and non-working machine (besides of course the no-output part) is that when I run this command:

Code:
logwatch.pl --debug 6 --print

on the problem machine, I get output with a bunch of 'Preprocssing Logfile:...' messages followed by only two 'Processing Service:...' messages (for zz-fortune & zz-disk_space). This is unusual b/c on the good machine, all the 'Logfile' messages are there, but there are many more 'Processing Service:...' messages. I cannot for the life of me figure out why it's doing this.

Having said that, I'm glad a buddy of mine turned me on to Gentoo a little over a year ago. It's been great!
tgice
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: solution Reply with quote

Uh. Yeah, so this is really embarassing, but at least I figured it out (it appears).

So I'd just switched from metalog to syslog-ng (knowing that logwatch doesn't really work with metalog). I'd just done this today. And when I'm running logwatch w/ all these tests, it's looking for output from yesterday. I finally realized this after staring at some of the more verbose debug output.

*Anyway*, when I set it to look at today (or all or w/e), voila! I get output. Of course. Hopefully someone else misses things like this occasionally too, and may find this to be helpful. O/w, I'd try to remove the post.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: