Do I need Joliet?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AFCommando
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Do I need Joliet? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm getting ready to burn quite a few dvds to clear up space on my hard drive and I was wondering when using mkisofs, do I really need -J (joliet)? I want my dvds to be able to be read on windows and linux.

I created some iso w/o joliet, and mounted them on Win2k and it seemed to have been fine. But would Win98 read them fine? I don't have any boxen to test that on.

If anyone could provide me any information, that'd be great.

Best Regards
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFCommando,

joliet provides Microsoft extension to the iso9660 standard which allows longer path names. It was adoped as a defacto standard.
You may find that some of your files cannot be copied to an iso9660 filesystem without it. Its a Good Thing

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
AFCommando
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
joliet provides Microsoft extension to the iso9660 standard which allows longer path names. It was adoped as a defacto standard. You may find that some of your files cannot be copied to an iso9660 filesystem without it. Its a Good Thing

Thanks for the response. The reason I asked, was because with including joliet the label that is shown in My Computer for the dvd is limited to 16 characters. But if I don't use joliet and leave it ISO9960 only, the limit is increased to 32 characters.

Best Regards
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFCommando,

When you include joliet on a CD/DVD the system creates two file structures pointing to the same data, a compliant iso9660 and a seperate joliet one.
Low level tools like isobuster (for Windows) will show both. There may be a 3rd too but I've forgotten what its called.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
AFCommando
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for your help NeddySeagoon. Just one more question. Do you know of anyway to have mkisofs use different labels for different file structures? I currently use -V, and that seems to be one label for all file structures. But if joliet is limited to 16 characters only, I sometimes would like to have a different/shorter label for joliet compared to iso9660.

Thanks again.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFCommando,

The 3rd system is Rock Ridge, which is what eveyone uses today.
Bare iso9660 is 8.3 DOS style filenames. It was extended to 31 charaters later. Joliet was a further Microsoft extension and eventually the industry git together at a place called Rock Ridge and gave us the standard we use today.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
AFCommando
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
The 3rd system is Rock Ridge, which is what eveyone uses today.Bare iso9660 is 8.3 DOS style filenames. It was extended to 31 charaters later. Joliet was a further Microsoft extension and eventually the industry git together at a place called Rock Ridge and gave us the standard we use today.

NeddySeagoon, I cannot thank you enough for your patience and time to explain everything to me. I've decided to create my dvds with Rock Ridge, which Win2k doesn't seem to have any problems using. Perhaps I will add udf support as well, I haven't deicded yet.

Best Regards.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: