[SOLVED] Help! Screen/display gets only garbage when booting
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
glengels
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:38 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Help! Screen/display gets only garbage when booting Reply with quote

I'm a newbie trying to boot linux for the first time.

I've installed Gentoo on my laptop from a liveCD. It can boot just fine from the CD.

When I try to boot the real Gentoo installation on the hard drive, the screen comes up with garbage. Before I describe the problem symptom in detail, let me describe my system environment.

My computer is a Compaq Presario 2200 laptop. The graphics is embedded in the motherboard. When I boot Windows XP, it tells me the graphics adapter is Intel(R) 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controller.

I installed the pentium4 stage 3 tarball of the 2.6 kernel from the live CD.

When I boot into GRUB, it comes up as: GNU GRUB version 0.94

The GRUB config is as follows:
root (hd0,3)
kernel /kernel-2.6.9-gentoo-r1 root=/dev/ram0 init=linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/hda6 vga=791
initrd /initrd-2.6.9-gentoo-r1

I got the "vga=791" part from section 10.a ("Optional: Framebuffer") of the Gentoo Installation handbook. According to this section, because I used genkernel's default kernel configuration, I have to add a vga-statement to my bootloader config file. Since my laptop normally runs (in Windows) at 1024x768 with either 16 or 32 bit Color, I have chosen 16bpp, which translates to a value of 791.

When I try to boot, it gives me this:

You passed an undefined mode number.
Press <RETURN> to see video modes available. [When I do this:]

Video adapter: VESA VGA
Mode: COLSxROWS:
0 0F00 80x25
1 0F01 80x50
2 0F02 80x43
3 0F03 80x28
4 0F05 80x30
5 0F06 80x34
6 0F07 80x60

Enter mode number or 'scan': __

I have tried several mode numbers (0-6) and also tried the 'scan' part, but I get the same (bad) result every time.

There is also a statement in the above section of the handbook about if I "chose to use vesafb-tng" which means I would use a video statement instead of a vga statement. I recall something about the -tng, but I cannot find in the document where that choice was presented to me as I configured things. At any rate, I have tried using, in lieu of the vga statement, the statement video=1024x768-16@60. When I do this, I don't get the error msg about the undefined mode number, but I still get the same bad result.

I've also tried editing out the vga/video part entirely. I still get the same bad result.

With all that as background, here is the result when it boots:

For a split-second, I see the line "uncompressing Linux", and then some other lines which appear readable except that I see them too briefly. Then, within a split-second, the screen goes mostly blank. I see a weird, unrecognizable grey pattern at the top left of the screen. Then, I see some grey, unrecognizable stuff scroll by on the screen. It's as if someone covered the screen with a piece of paper, where you can kind of see something through it but you can't read it. After a little while, it stops scrolling, but if I press <ENTER> the screen scrolls up a couple lines. So I think it is giving me a command line prompt but I just can't read it on the screen.

Also, I have a small LAN, and I am able to figure out what the DHCP'ed IP address of this laptop is. When I ping it, it replies. Since networking is up, then the kernel must be mostly working.

I can still boot from the live CD (and my display is good then) in order to look at the contents of my Gentoo installation; but I have absolutely no clue where to even being looking for information about linux video drivers and configuration. I really know nothing about this beyond the section I mentioned previously in the installation handbook.

If someone can give this linux newbie some ideas and pointers for information, I would appreciate it!

Last edited by glengels on Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ignore framebuffer support for now until you've installed the base system - there's always time to play with eyecandy later. Add the
Code:
vga=normal
parameter to the kernel command line and you'll get the trusty ole 80x25 text console.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- attributed to Benjamin Franklin
glengels
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vga=normal does not help - I get the same result.
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm. Boot from the LiveCD again, chroot into your hard drive installation with the trusty old
Code:
mount /dev/whatever /mnt/gentoo
mount /dev/whatever /mnt/gentoo/boot
mount --bind /proc /mnt/gentoo/proc
mount --bind /sys /mnt/gentoo/sys
chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
source /etc/profile
method, and recompile the kernel without frame buffer support. Remember to leave VGA text console on, and check Video Mode Selection Support for good measure (later that may give you access to highres text modes a la 162x80 which is the one I use for the console - much faster scrolling than the framebuffer). After it's compiled rm -rf /lib/modules/your.kernel.version and make modules_install (the rm is to ensure no old modules lie around) and install the image in /boot.
Hope this helps.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- attributed to Benjamin Franklin
glengels
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This fixed my problem. Thank you!
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when your problem is solved, please put [SOLVED] in the subject header of the first message of the thread. that will let everyone else who's scanning the forum to help people know that you no longer need help. thx.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: