SysAdmin - Tracking System Changes
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoeCotellese
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: SysAdmin - Tracking System Changes Reply with quote

Hello,

I am the system adminstrator of a small network (<30) mixed Windows/Gentoo systems. I'm looking for some advice about keeping track of system changes. The Windows boxes are all managed by the individual users (we don't have a very strict internal policy), the three gentoo boxes are managed by me. When I make changes to a system, I try to log the information into a book so I can remember what I've done. I have attempted to keep track of changes to configuration files in Perforce but that doesn't always happen. Has anyone implemented a good policy for managing multiple systems that they would like to share? What I would really love is an automated way to maintain a history of all changes to a system. Does anything like this exist?
ToeiRei
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use changetrack - it is not in the portage tree.
The system checks for changes in files and mails you the diff. If you use IMAP you could use a public folder for storing those mails just like a Changes-File

Rei
slam_head
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also be interested in apps for administering multiple gentoo boxes. Is there a tool you can use to build packages on one machine and then push them out to others on your network?
ToeiRei
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your boxes outside are all the same it is no problem. You know, different use-Flags...

What you could do is using Buildpkg in your features and share your package-directory. With the binhost-variable (please look in make.conf manpage for the correct syntax) you could let your other boxes download the Packages and install them.

Rei
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: