Strange Freeze
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EWQ222
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Strange Freeze Reply with quote

After using my computer for about an hour weither I am on it or not and when I am in Gentoo (gnome) my computer randomly freezes and locks up everything, the strange part is the caps lock and scroll lock lights on my keyboard blink on and off on and off over and over again. Im forced to reset it without using a keyboard. Is this a common problem or am I special in this one?
neilhwatson
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A peice of hardware may be failing. Are there any interesting entires in the log files prior to the lockup?
EWQ222
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know the log files that well, what should I look at?
daniel_s
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Oops Reply with quote

Sounds like a kernel panic ;\

I'm not really sure where to go from here, I just know I've seen those lights and they meant kernel panic for me. :-)
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it happen any faster if the system is under heavy load? Such as a compile loop?
EWQ222
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesnt happen any faster. I tested this one :) left my computer on for a long time just idling, and it wasnt frozen, it was at my screensaver, moved the mouse and it froze. I also have played games on it, 3d games and it seems to freeze in about the same amount of time, Im going to time it, perhaps that has something to do with it but I am doubting.
dohko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have similar simptoms here.

I turned on my computer and kept testing dosbox with old games to see if it worked fine. I kept doing that for about two hours (which means very heavy cpu load for 2 hours, but that's nothing compared to compiling kde). Then I stopped testing it and started doing an emerge world.

I was emerging world in a tty (I usually let things emerging in ttys). Some kde application crashed while I was ending my kde session (don't remember which app) and X restarted. Since I wasn't going to use X anymore, I stopped it.

After some minutes of compilation (no more than 5) my system hanged entirely: no keyboard. I couldn't even use the magic syskeys to reboot. At this point, the kbd caps, scroll and num lights were not blinking.

I restarted the system manually. Log into kde. While I was examining the kernel log for strange entries, the system hanged up again just as badly as the other time.

Another reboot. On start up, the computer rebooted during the init proccess!! I started worrying about hardware problems, maybe the power source.

As a final try, I booted a live cd (kurumin) and it halted during boot (specifically while kudzu was configuring stuff) and the caps and scroll lights started blinking.

Ok, here is the first question: when the 3 kbd lights blinks, it's a kernel panic. What does it mean when only the caps and scroll blink?

While I'm writing this at another machine, I'm waiting for the other computer hardware to get colder in a desperate thoght that it could be a temperature problem..... No, it hangs just after a few minutes of usage.

Ok, now it's worse: my computer hanged while I was checking the bios config. That's definitely a hardware problem isn't it? Any ideas of what could it possibly be?
gentoo_lan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your motherboard give any kind of beep warnings after the post?
dohko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentoo_lan wrote:
Does your motherboard give any kind of beep warnings after the post?

No, it doesn't. It just gives the default beep that means things are fine.

I powered up the machine today and entered bios setup to watch CPU temperature. It increased to 59oC and stabilized. Then I started my system to try it with a heavy load. Unfortunatelly, sensors doesn't support my asus motherboard, so I couldn't keep monitoring CPU temp.

After the emerge finished, I rebooted to see the temperature measurements in bios setup and it was around 63oC. I started gentoo again and things seem to be stable now.

I'm tempted to conclude that it was a CPU overheating, though I don't overclock it (athlon-tbird 1.2GHz). AFAIK, the unexplainable immediate system freeze (not even kernel panic blinking lights) could be caused by that. Concerning to the unintentional reboot I experienced, it could be Athlon's thermal protection against overheating.

Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks!
dojan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dohko, did you ever find the answer to your problem?
i'm getting the same error here.

i got a athlon-xp, i used the livecd install-x86-universal-2004.3-r1 and stage3-athlon-xp-2004.3
dohko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dojan

dojan wrote:
dohko, did you ever find the answer to your problem?

My problem was really the chip temperature. The weather here has gotten a little colder and the chip stays at 64 oC. It doesn't freeze anymore at this temperature. However, I'll need to get a new cooler very soon.

I'd suggest that you make sure you have exactly the same problem (open you case and try putting some external thing to cool it down like a ventilator) since you'd have to make changes to the hardware if it's really cpu temperature. It's much likely that you'll need a more powerfull cooler.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: