Wondering about installing on a K62 550
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MHenry676
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:20 am    Post subject: Wondering about installing on a K62 550 Reply with quote

I'm planing to install Gentoo onto an older machine. Specs are...
ASUS P5A mobo
256MB RAM
K6/2 550
CDRW on mobo IDE
4 HDD on Promise Ultra 66
-2 WD 8gigs on Primary (Slightly faster drives)
-2 Segate 10gigs on Secondary
Sounblaster PCI 512
GeForce 4 TI 64mb (AGP)
ATI 128 Rage Pro (PCI - for TV tuner + video inputs only)
ATI card is removed during installation cause during hardware autodetect during install it detects ATI rather than GeForce as video card to use - BIOS is set to AGP/PCI order <- any tips on this would be nice

I want to do a Stage 1 install but remembering how long it took my Athlon XP 2100 to install I'm leary (took over 2 days for everything w/ KDE and OpenOffice)

I was wondering just how much performace boost I would get with the Stage 1 vs Stage 3. I don't mind it taking a while as I haven't even used the machine in months.

And I hope I'm assuming correctly that I can do the Stage 3 install and go back through and complie everything with the optimizations and bring it to Stage 1 Optimized level.

And another thing I was wondering about was my ATI video card. Under Windows I could not use the TV tuner unless I replaced the GeForce with another ATI AGP card I have. Is this the case under linux?

Also, I was going to use ufed. I have gone through the install laid out in the manual (2004.3) up to Configuring the USE variables (my make.conf is already set up for my cpu). I did emerge ufed and it has been going on for about an hour getting everything for it. Will this cause problems when I finally use ufed and update my USE flags for I have yet to put them into the make.conf? Is there an easier/better way to use this tool?

Thanks in advance!
Eskarel
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well having done a few emerge -e worlds in my time I can tell you that the bulk of the compile time is in the applications which aren't included as part of the stage3 tarball anyway. Xorg, KDE, gnome, etc are the really bad ones. About the only major compile in the system profile is glibc, shouldn't take you more than overnight even on that machine.

Of course you'll still have deal with compiling and installing the big packages, but you have to do that anyway.
MHenry676
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I'll go with the Stage 1 then. Thanks.
VanDan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some compiler bugs for the k6-2.

I built a number of systems with -march=k6-2 but when I hit a compilation error, I switched back to -march=i686 and compiled the individual package that didn't work, then went back to -march=k6-2.

The systems were relatively stable. I think my main issue was that the machines had crap motherboards and memory.
Duck-Billed Platypus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps ufed is installing other deps too. you should've done emerge -vp ufed first.

stage1 isnt too bad. ive done it several times on my pIII 450, took a couple days (~2). i suggest not using kde, and using something more lightweight. or if you're still going to use kde, then just do emerge kde-base instead of emerge kde, becuase i dont think youre really going to use everything that it installs.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: