installing winXP on gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qsoe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: installing winXP on gentoo Reply with quote

I already have Gentoo installed on my only HDD. GRUB is installed on the boot partition. I want to have XP on the other partition.
Is there any trick how to install XP, and what do i have to do after installation?
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be no problem AFAICT, except that winxp will overwrite grub with its own bootloader. In case that happens, and your computer goes into windows boot straight away when it restarts, boot from the Gentoo live CD, mount your linux partitions, and re-install grub.
qsoe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks
Animatus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure that Windows is on a primary partition, not a logical extended one.
ednos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: installing winXP on Gentoo Reply with quote

I already have Gentoo installed, but when I run the Windows XP Pro installer, it can't see the partition meant for it. I have a 160GB drive, as follows:
Code:
/dev/hda1    /boot    ext2    64MB
/dev/hda2    swap     swap    2GB
/dev/hda3    /        ext3    140GB
/dev/hda4    -        NTFS    17.9GB

Those are also the four primary partitions, in order.

The Windows installer detected 128GB of free space, for some reason. Is there a mke2fs for NTFS, or should Windows just recognize a partition that hasn't been formatted?
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The windows installer has the option to format that space as ntfs.

edit: Though I think what's actually happening is the installer is seeing partitions it doesn't understand and labelling them "free space."

Also I doubt this'll work as windows usually wants access to the first partition of the first disk.
BitKeeper
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boot into gentoo using fdisk change the NTFS partition to a FAT32 partition. Also that should work fine, windows wants to be the first fat or ntfs partition on the first drive, not the first partition.
D-M
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought for you, don't dual boot on the same hard drive. Dual boot using two hard drives, one OS to a drive. Buy a second hard drive and do this.

Install one hard drive, install and configure your first OS (windows, linux doesn't matter)

when finished power down disconnect the hard drive, install your second hard drive.
Then install your other OS (linux or windows which ever is left to do)

then install your linux hard drive in the #1 possition on the IDE cable, install your windows hard drive in the slave position.

Boot into linux and then edit grub/lilo (I use grub) to allow you to chose windows or linux at boot up. This is how I have my PC and it works great. Gives me both worlds without the risk of one stepping on the other, or user errors (we all know these never happen) causing a problem booting into either or booth Oss.

I personally think this is the best way to dual boot and not risk one OS by a goof or default behavor by the other OS (example windows overwriting the MBR)

To get the specifics on howto do this just search around the gentoo forum. One of these days if it hasn't been done already I plan to write this method of dual booting with more details for new users. I really do think this is the best way to go in my personal opinion.

DM
MickKi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: installing winXP on Gentoo Reply with quote

Hi ednos,

ednos wrote:
Is there a mke2fs for NTFS, or should Windows just recognize a partition that hasn't been formatted?
You could try:
Code:
# mkntfs /dev/hda4
to format the last partition as ntfs. If you would rather format it as DOS then it can be converted to NTFS (which is a more secure fs) after the M$Windoze installation has been completed.
johnnyICON
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimchi_sg wrote:
Should be no problem AFAICT, except that winxp will overwrite grub with its own bootloader. In case that happens, and your computer goes into windows boot straight away when it restarts, boot from the Gentoo live CD, mount your linux partitions, and re-install grub.

Alternately you could configure the Windows Bootloader to load up Gentoo if you'd like. That's how I have it set-up on my PC =D
gilgamesh1970
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now maybe this does not really count as a dual boot system in some peoples eyes but whatever 8)

I use the BIOS. I have two hard drives ( one OS per drive ). When I want to switch between the two OSes I reboot go into the BIOS disable the drive I do not want and enable the other...they are completely oblivious the other's existence. No LiLo or Grub issues...no OS gremlins..etc.
syg00
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: installing winXP on Gentoo Reply with quote

ednos wrote:
I already have Gentoo installed, but when I run the Windows XP Pro installer, it can't see the partition meant for it. I have a 160GB drive, as follows:
Code:

Those are also the four primary partitions, in order.

The Windows installer detected 128GB of free space, for some reason. Is there a mke2fs for NTFS, or should Windows just recognize a partition that hasn't been formatted?

Dual booting on one disk is fine. In my case I *always* install the Windoze first - because historically it got all bitter and twisted if you didn't.
XP accomodates things a lot better - can't see why it won't work.
As suggested above, for such a small partition, make it FAT32. Don't complicate things - you can always convert to NTFS later.

However - I'd be doing *nothing* until Linux and XP agree on the partition table. You have the potential to screw things royally otherwise.
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: installing winXP on Gentoo Reply with quote

ednos wrote:
when I run the Windows XP Pro installer, it can't see the partition meant for it. I have a 160GB drive, as follows:
Code:

Since you have the Windows partition way at the end like that, you might be running up against the 137GB LBA32 barrier.

How recent is your BIOS ? Does it support LBA48 harddrives ?
The Windows installer might not be able to see the full capacity of the drive, even though your Linux kernel is able.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: