Login, Schmogin
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlowell
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Login, Schmogin Reply with quote

Here's one for you, I can't figure it out.

I've recently done a fresh install of Gentoo 2004.3 on a machine that I intend to use as a webserver. It was a stage 1, from scratch install and it went without a hitch. After successfully booting up the new system, I emerged apache for obvious reasons, and did one update a couple of days later. Booting up the day before yesterday I noticed that the transition between "Start local" at the tail end of the boot sequence and the appearance of the lines identifying the machine and offering the login seemed awfully long (I later timed the delay at 22 seconds). On my three workstations there is no such delay, the transition occurs almost instantaneously. For the life of me I can't account for this slowness. I have nothing in /etc/conf.d/local.start that might complicate things, the file shows only the standard boilerplate and that's all commented out. I'd appreciate benefit of anyone's thoughts on this question. I'm lost.

jlowell
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have -pam in your USE?
jlowell
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi pjp,

Thanks for the quick reply.

USE="-kde" is all I've got at the moment. I'll assume from what you've said that it ought to read USE="-pam -kde", am I right? Do I remove pam and re-emerge it also or is the editing going to be enough to fix things?

I'll look for your reply.

jlowell
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, if you did have -pam, it may have been part of the problem.

Verify that pam has been installed by booting with a CD and entering a chroot (similar to the chroot during installation).
jlowell
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi pjp!

Again, thank you for the reply.

I added gentoolkit to the installation and ran qpkg -I. Sure enough, pam-login is on the machine. And, as you know it's USE="-kde" only.

I've done Gentoo installations on this computer before with precisely the same set up without experiencing anything like this transition slowdown. You can get the sense from watching it that something's gotten borked. I appreciate your help with the problem. I'm definitely over my head.

I'll look for your follow-up.

jlowell
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: