fstab woes :(
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eulogoius
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: fstab woes :( Reply with quote

Here's my problem. All of a sudden, when I rebooted my server, I got a message saying that "special device /storage/Upload, /storage/packages does not exist". I thought to myself, that's odd, THEY DO TOO! So I waited until the computer finished booting, and typed "mount". Sure enough, not mounted. Ok, let's try this: "mount -a". Typed "mount" again, and what do you know, /storage/Upload is there, and same with /storage/packages. So I was wondering why all of a sudden fstab is trying to load them before it loads all of /hdd1/storage? /storage is a 160gig maxtor drive, if it matters. Here's my fstab:

Code:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
# $Header: /home/cvsroot/gentoo-src/rc-scripts/etc/fstab,v 1.14 2003/10/13 20:03:38 azarah Exp $
#
# noatime turns off atimes for increased performance (atimes normally aren't
# needed; notail increases performance of ReiserFS (at the expense of storage
# efficiency).  It's safe to drop the noatime options if you want and to
# switch between notail and tail freely.

# <fs>                  <mountpoint>    <type>          <opts>                  <dump/pass>

# NOTE: If your BOOT partition is ReiserFS, add the notail option to opts.
/dev/hda1               /boot           ext2            noauto,noatime          1 2
/dev/hda3               /               reiserfs        noatime                 0 1
/dev/hda2               none            swap            sw                      0 0
/dev/hdd1               /storage        reiserfs        noatime                 0 1
/dev/hdc1               /videos         reiserfs        noatime                 0 2
/videos                 /home/xbox/videos       none    bind,rw                 0 0
/storage                /home/xbox/storage      none    bind,rw                 0 0
/storage/Upload         /home/xbox/upload       none    bind,rw                 0 0
/storage/packages       /home/binaries/packages none    bind,rw                 0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0      /mnt/cdrom      iso9660         noauto,ro               0 0
#/dev/fd0               /mnt/floppy     auto            noauto                  0 0

# NOTE: The next line is critical for boot!
none                    /proc           proc            defaults                0 0

# glibc 2.2 and above expects tmpfs to be mounted at /dev/shm for
# POSIX shared memory (shm_open, shm_unlink).
# (tmpfs is a dynamically expandable/shrinkable ramdisk, and will
#  use almost no memory if not populated with files)
# Adding the following line to /etc/fstab should take care of this:

none                    /dev/shm        tmpfs           defaults                0 0

To all my knowledge, this should be fine. It worked before, haven't gotten this error ever, and this computer has been running for about 4 months now, and I have rebooted it several times with no errors. So if anyone has ANY idea why it would all of a sudden just not do this correctly, I would greatly appreciate it. Oh, and wow, gentoo kicks ass :)
Jerem
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are complicating your life by doing so.

Simply keep these lines :
Code:

/dev/hdd1               /storage        reiserfs        noatime                 0 1
/dev/hdc1               /videos         reiserfs        noatime                 0 2

and create symlinks for the rest. Like this :

Code:
ln -s /storage /home/xbox/storage
ln -s /videos /home/xbox/videos
ln -s /storage/upload /home/xbox/upload (you put a upper case U, i corrected)
ln -s /storage/packages /home/binaries/packages

And see the ln man page to suit you needs...
eulogoius
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I did try that when I first set up my system. The reason that I have those directories is for my FTP server that I have set up. Those are users that acutally don't have a shell to logon into for security purporses. I also have it set up so that my FTP server doesn't follow sym links also, so the only way that I can get people to be able to see those 2 directories is to mount them in fstab. Again, after my computer boots, I can do a "mount -a" and it mounts everything in my fstab just fine, but not when I boot. And to repeat myself, this just started happening, and I was just wondering why all of a sudden it was doing this, when 2 days ago it wasn't, and nothing has changed. If anyone has ANY clue why, please let me know. Thanks!
eulogoius
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. So I figured out why this was happening. Apparently in /etc/init.d/localmount there is an option (-atF) to mount all local filesystems at the same time. Well for some reason, mine was set like this, but this wasn't a problem until recently. So when I removed the F it worked fine. Thanks, and Gentoo still rocks my socks off :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: