Where are the modules?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mccubbin53
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 3:19 am    Post subject: Where are the modules? Reply with quote

I am following the setup directions for the setup of the alsa sound drivers and modules. The instructions say to look in /lib/modules/[kernel ver]/misc for the available sound modules. Then put the appropriate on in /etc/modules.autoload .

The problem is that I have no .../misc directory under /lib/modules/[kernel] directory to look. Something is amiss. When I put modules in the modules.autoload file they don't load, so I'm pretty sure I don't have the loadable modules in the appropriate place.

But where are they and where do I move them to? HELP!

I'm moderatly experienced with Mandrake, and so far really like this distribution, but it requires a lot more 'basic' configuration than I'm used to. I like the learning, and would like to get it working... Thanks.
c_kuzmanic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, you need to emerge ALSA which will install the sound modules in /lib/modules/{kernel_version}/kernel/sound.
j7899
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do an emerge alsa-driver alsa-lib alsa-utils alsa-oss alsa-tools then look for the modules, what is your soundcard or chipset?
mccubbin53
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply. I have a Sound Blaster Live sound card - should use the emu10k1 module I believe and when compiling the kernel I enabled sound support and selected to load the emu10k1 support as a module. (If that wasn't the correct thing to do, tell me.)

What is odd is that the documentation on installing sound drivers said to look in the /misc subdirectory of the kernel and there was none. I couldn't find the modules. I did get sound, but wasn't sure why.

I'm doing something wrong with modules in general. When I follow the directions on the website and put the modules in /etc/modules.autoload as directed, EVERY module I put in there produces an error message (as "not loaded" [!!] ) on bootup. Funny thing - they seem to work. My Nvida graphics drivers work fine as does X, but I get an error message on bootup that the NVxxx modules doesn't load.

If anyone knows why this happens, I'd appreciate a heads up (feel free to email me - I won't bug you much :-).

Can someone point me to a good reference on how the modules work under Linux/Gentoo Linux? I don't mind reading on things, just can't find a source.

Thanks in advance - I'm learning a LOT.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fled the crowds in Desktop Environments for the wide open spaces of the new Multimedia forum.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: