depcache issue?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyfaeglasgow
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: depcache issue? Reply with quote

Hi,

Every time I issue env-update I get the message "/var/lib/init.d/depcache: line 7: Set: command not found. Does anyone know what this means? Why it's happaning? How to fix?

Andy
andyfaeglasgow
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Ok I've found out that apparently, /var/lib/init.d/depcache is simply a cache of the files in /etc/init.d and that apparrently there must be an arror in one of these files. The thing is I haven't touched any of these since they're all scripts rather than config files.

Also, there's 54 files in this directory. Is there any way to narrow down the range? The error message appears during the boot process twice; once just after the hard drives have been checked, then again just after metalog is started. Could this mean that the metalog init script is the problem? I had a look at it but I don't know what I'm looking for.

I'm not sure if it appeared in any other places at boot since it whizzes by too quickly. Is all this stuff logged somewhere so you can check it more thouroughly. I know about dmesg but that only seems to list the hardware checks.

Cheers,

Andy
rhill
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't know if this helps, you can try out the scripts in that directory by trying to restart them.

Code:
# /etc/init.d/metalog restart

you can see what services are started during bootup using the command

Code:
# rc-update show

whether the message happens before or after "switching to init level 3" during the boot sequence will tell you if it's something loaded during "boot" or "default", and you can go from there.
andyfaeglasgow
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I still havn't found the solution to this problem yet. I've tried restarting all the services (at least all those that I use) and they all restart ok. So it seems the problem is only with env-update. My system has been working fine so far but I'm guessing that all the environment variables havn't changed since this thing stopped working and this may cause problems in the future.

So I've been doing some digging. Is there supposed to be a file functions.sh in both /etc/init.d and /sbin/? Why is this? I ran a diff on them and they appear to be identical and the header on the one in /etc/init.d says

# $Header: /home/cvsroot/gentoo-src/rc-scripts/sbin/functions.sh,v 1.52 2004/05/21 15:22:12 agriffis Exp $

Note the /sbin/functions.sh I thought this might have been the problem and tried moving it away but then /sbin/depscan.sh couldn't find it. I changed a line in /sbin/depscan, making it source the functions.sh in /sbin instead and got the original error message again

/var/lib/init.d/depcache: line 7: Set: command not found

This has frustrated me cause I thought I was getting somewhere but now I feel as if I'm back to square one. Anyone got any ideas on what to do.

The other thing that is perhaps worth mentioning is that when I opened functions.sh with vim, there were a few places with white text on a red background. I wondered if this might be an aid that vim provides in pointing out bash syntax errors.

e.g

for copt in $(< /proc/cmdline)
do
case "${copt%=*}" in
"bootlevel")
newbootlevel="${copt##*=}"
;;
"softlevel")
newsoftlevel="${copt##*=}"
;;
esac
done

It seems that the color tags don't work inside code tags and I thought it more important to highlight the color so I'm afraid you don't get the formatting :-(
leo.fontenelle
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: The problem was not in depcache Reply with quote

I had the same problem, but after a while I found the answer here.
kallamej
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also an FAQ for this: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-53821.html

Moved from Portage & Programming to Duplicate Threads.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: